32 bit vs 64 bit on laptop

Closed
lt - Oct 6, 2008 at 11:37 AM
 chimp - Oct 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Hello, I just bought a lap top with 64 bit and windows vista. I did not realize that my job I have on the side which runs dos programs only runs 32 bit. Is there anything I can do besides return computer?

thanks
lt
Related:

8 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2008 at 01:45 AM
Do you have a 64 bit version of VISTA or just a 64 bit CPU?

Vista 64 bit will run 32 bit programs it might even run your DOS programs.

Just try them.
if your PC supports it dual boot
Just installed HP hdx18t laptop with Vista 64 Ultimate. I need to Run some old win 95 and win 98 programs. They don't work. I have tried all compatiibility options. They work fine on XP pro 32 no compatibility options.

Have you found any solutions to your problem?

Mel...........
download virtualbox from Sun for free and run a virtual instance of win xp 32bit, win vista 32bit or even just a freeDos system to run your dos programs.

alternatively you can try dosbox, and open source project that run dos programs on other platforms. i know it works on 32bit but i have not tried it on a 64bit system.
some guy > mike
Jan 5, 2010 at 03:12 PM
dosbox works flawlessly on my 64-bit laptop with windows 7 on it
hi i really need help man i m using vista home premium 64bit laptop i really want to play few old games 1997's game one of the name is dark colony the council wars but its not working on it tell me anything to play it any emulator or any software which help me out regards majid do mail me plz i will wait
Why not just set your computer up to dual boot 2 different operating systems?
Microsoft has a free download for Vitural PC. With this program running in your Windows Vista 64 bit environment, you can run a Windows XP 32 bit environment, and launch an MS DOS environment from there. Additionally, you can create as many of these virtual environments as you want.

Unfortunately, Microsoft requires you to have both a Windows XP licience iand a Vista Licence if you are going to run both Vista and XP (even with one in the virtual world). If you own a regerestered copy of XP, I'm told that a work around to this potential problem is to reinstall your virtual XP environment when the preceeding one experies it's 30 day registration requirement.

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Eudanil Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday July 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM
To run the software that won't run on 64-bit I recommend doing as Mike and many other have said:

"Download virtualbox from Sun for free and run a virtual instance of win xp 32bit, win vista 32bit or even just a freeDos system to run your dos programs.

alternatively you can try dosbox, and open source project that run dos programs on other platforms. i know it works on 32bit but i have not tried it on a 64bit system."

Please do not ask the question again, the answer is already written out for you.
Will Windows 7 solve this problem? I too have old programs that won't run on Vista 64 bit
most programs will work but some drivers and hardware won't work unless there is a 64-bit version of the driver available
try installing Virtual box latest version and then install any 32bit OS in it, this may sort out your issue. returning the laptop is the last option u should go for.
try installing Virtual box latest version and then install any 32bit OS in it, this may sort out your issue. returning the laptop is the last option u should go for.
sorry, did nt see the date , ur issue is too old