Cant see screen after changing resolution

Closed
cashey007 Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 22, 2010 - Mar 22, 2010 at 04:14 AM
cashey007 Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 22, 2010 - Mar 22, 2010 at 02:06 PM
I have a Dell dimension 4700 series running Microsoft Windows XP Home. I updated some drivers as I was using a wide screen however after making changes and going back to the original screen. I changed some settings on the resolutions and restarted, and now get nothing but a black screen. I get to the Dell screen and as far as the Microsoft Windows XP screen, with no luck using the F2 and F12 option. I can take the F2 to run the setup utility, that still doesn't change anything, and when the F12 option is pressed I'm not getting anywhere there as well. I know all I need to do is get to the change resolution screen in windows but the screen goes blank once started and I cant see. I have tried booting from resorces CD and that's no help, I tried all the F2 and F12 options and that does not work.
I am using the same monitor the system origanally came with, so that has not changed, is there a fix for this problem? If any one has any suggestions or maybe an idea on how to fix this problem, please help it would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to get into the F8 option and ie safe mode? I notice now when I push the start button I get a double beep sometimes. Ive read and plagiaised other input from this site (thanks) but still could not resolove after reading their solutions. Help please.. PS I obvioulsy on another computer to do this..
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM
You can force a safe-mode start by turning of the PC when it's in the boot process. Just hold down the power button for 10/15 seconds. You should then be able to change the resolution/frequency when in safe mode.

Good Luck
cashey007 Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 22, 2010
Mar 22, 2010 at 02:06 PM
Thanks xpcman I dont understand sorry. I turned on the PC and then stopped it during boot up and the the next time I started (after two soft beeps) it say's quote:
"Alert! PC Express Card is operating in x1 mode. Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the set up utility". If I F1 it gives me the boot from hard drive or disk drive option. It then goes into Windows XP screen if I let go from that screen and back to computer running but with a black screen. It looks all OK without a screen to do anything.. sorry I'm not getting this...