Laptop unable to open any programs...

Solved/Closed
GB - Mar 23, 2010 at 06:54 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM
Hi, today I was suddenly infected with "Vista Security Tool" which would not allow me to access my internet, so using another laptop in the house I discovered this was a fake security tool and a malware program. I ran one of my security programs "SUPERantispyware" and it discovered quite a few infected files, after cleaning my computer with this and letting my computer reboot I thought "Brilliant, got rid of it" but now I'm left with this problem.

I can log in and I'am presented with my wallpaper and my icons on the left hand side of the screen, however when I go to access them I'am given the "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" box, it does it for all my icons! If I try to use anything in "Start" it either does the same as previously mentioned or I get an error box stating "application not found". I tried seeing if running my computer in safe mode would let me get around this and it wouldn't. I can still see all the files when I go through "my computer" but it doesnt let me do anything with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell me how to solve this problem? Or what to do to fix it...
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 24, 2010 at 06:26 AM
Hello,

Other people on this forum have experienced the same problem.

I found that Superantispyware is not the ideal tool, yet since Vista Security Tool is a rogue type Trojan Horse which is self protective, before running a cleaning tool, the malicious process had first to be killed.

Because of the state your laptop is now in, I suggest what I recommend as a last measure.

Using your sick account:

1. Download ComboFix to your desktop

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2 Rename ComboFix Kioskea.exe otherwise you may get a message that Combofiz is not a valid win32 application

2. Disable all of your antivirus applications and turn off your modem.

3. Click right on Kioskea.exe to run as administrator.

4. Launch the tool and let it work. You may withness an automatic restart, if it detects a rootkit it may ask you to restart, accept.

5. At the end, a log will be files in c:\Combofix.txt

It would sure appreciate if you let me know the results.

Best regards
Sadly I can not get past step 1. For one I can't use IE on my sick account, I tried using another laptop in the house to download Combofix and it keeps coming up asking me for "administrator rights to download file" once this is given it continually asks for it with a button saying "Try Again" if I click this I just get asked the same thing again, over and over.

But thank you for your help, if you have anyway of working around this somehow it will be greatly appreciated

Best Regards
Ignore the last comment. Worked out how to download Combifix and it worked a treat, thank you very much :)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM
You are most welcome!

Should you have other concern, return to Kioskea anytime.

We appreciate feedback and stories with happy endings.

Best regards
Just something to add: If I log into any other account on my laptop I can access everything, its asif the problem does not exsist....