Ask a question Report

Why does Word ask for product key?

tuskus - Latest answer on Mar 25, 2010 08:29AM
I have been using an old version of Word (maybe 2002?) on my laptop (Windows Vista) since I bought it about a year ago. I had installed it legitimately with CD and it worked fine until today. Now out of the blue, when I open one of my word documents it opens up in the new Word and asks for a 25 character product key. This has not happened before and I dont know how to resolve this problem.
Read more 
moins plus

It may just be due to a compatibility issue between your version and more recent versions, especially if you try to open documents written with newer version.

I don't know if this will work for you, but Microsoft published an update to resolve certain compatibility issues: "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats"

You may wish to consult the following:

Best regards
Add comment
moins plus
Hi there,

Office 200 trial is still on it thus you will have to uninstall it since you are using office 2003,open control panel>add/remove programs and uninstall.

Add comment
This document entitled « Why does Word ask for product key? » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.