Ran Anti-Virus and now can't run programs

Closed
Parae Posts 1 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 27, 2010 - Mar 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM
I have Windows Vista and got the Windows Vista Pro Virus, which of course was lots of fun. I ran Norton antivirus last night and that seems to have taken care of the virus.

However, today I can't run any exe programs. When I try to run, internet explorer for example, a "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" pops up (it also says "File: ssvagent.exe"). As it stands now, I can't even get on the internet because of this.

Also, when I go to "Run" I get an error message that says "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe Application not found"

This is all quite frustrating and ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Hello Paree,

I agree with you, Vista Pro Virus is a barrel of laughs!

Now, as the Queen of England would say: "We are marooned up the stream without an oar!".

Norton, oh boy... I won't tell you what I think of it, I like to keep clean.

The pop-up ssvagent is Java, for the moment out of service for Norton may have damaged it.

Anyhow, in order to save your system, I must know if you can boot in safemode with networking.

If you can, download

1. Download ComboFix from this site:

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2. Before running the tool, disconnect your modem

3. Disable your antivirus as Combofix may see it as a virus (for some anyway)

4. Close all applications

5. Run the tool

In the course of the scan, your system may restart or you may be asked to restart, don't be alarmed, it is normal.

After Combofix, your system should be as clean as an angel's underwear!:)))

After, please, just to be and remain on the safe side, turn off your system restore for about 30 to 45 seconds and create a new fresh restore point that you can always come back to in case of need.

6. Please do give me some feedback

Best regards