Explorer.exe won't start, no task manager

Closed
alyssacorexcore Posts 7 Registration date Monday March 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2010 - Mar 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 30, 2010 at 05:28 AM
i've been having a lot of virus issues with my computer (windows xp).. when I boot up and log in, all I see is my wallpaper. and i've googled around and most solutions for this involve either using the task manager or downloading some virus scanning program or something.. but my task manager "has been disabled by administrator", and I have no way of accessing the internet or anything else for that matter. I also cannot boot to safe mode, it just restarts my computer until I choose to boot to normal mode again.

is my computer completely done for? I don't really know what I can do at this point.
thanks!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Hum, you have a complicated name, so I will just say hello.

I don't think your computer is done for, but about to be if the following does not work:

Reboot your computer in the Safe mode with command prompt.

Once Windows loaded, command prompt (black window) opens. Type notepad and press Enter.

A notepad window opens. Type the following text into notepad:

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Myantispyware.com

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=regsec

[regsec]
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,Shell,0x00000020,"Explorer.exe"

Save this as fix.inf to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad). Close Notepad.

In the command prompt type Explorer.exe and Press Enter. Windows Explorer opens. Locate the fix.inf, click right button and select Install. Close Windows Explorer.

In the command prompt type shutdown -r and press Enter. Your computer will be rebooted.

If you can do the above, please return to me and we will go on to the next step.

Good luck
alyssacorexcore Posts 7 Registration date Monday March 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2010
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM
okay... trying it...

no. my computer just reboots if I choose anything that is not "start windows normally". agghhh.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM
I am thinking and smoke is coming out of my ears...

I'll be back in a jiffy after looking up my files
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Hello Complicated name,

He is what I found.

I help this guy Leo, pardon his language but here is what he said which I think is a situation similar to your:

"same thing above happend to me scan fake virus crap some1 using my email shit spam or somethin.. then my mate shut my comp down now when I start it I get to my log on screen. I log on but I get a black screen cant do shit no task manger so I cant find the process crap.. so I tried safe mode same shit black screen cant do anythin.. so I then tried safe mode wth network ran processes there but I cant see anythin there that shouldnt be there. so wat can I do about that?? cant access anythin so I cant download anythin or run anythin. the only thing I can think of now is formatting hardrive reinstalling windows 7 but ill lose everythin and I dont really wanna... CAN SOME1 PLZ HELP ME FIND ANOTHER OPTION SO I DONT HAVE TO LOSE MY SHIT!! PLZ..

if I can get to my desktop im all good I can work from there I got stuff I can use.. "

Now, what I suggested him was to first put all the crap and shit words aside and to download combofix and find a way to run it on his machine.

I still don't know what give the idea but this is what he said he did and it worked for him:

Upon rebooting:

"hit shift 5 times click got to the ease of access center access full computer that way download combo fix WORKS WELL"

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

Do you want to try it?

The last option, I am sorry to say, is to boot from your XP disk and attempt a repair.
alyssacorexcore Posts 7 Registration date Monday March 29, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2010
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM
yes.. sure. but I have to tell you, I am no computer genius so you might have to use layman's terms with me..
the only thing I can really decipher out of "hit shift 5 times click got to the ease of access center access full computer that way download combo fix WORKS WELL" is that I should hit shift 5 times. lol. which I did, and it brought up the Stickykeys thing.. I don't really understand how to download combofix from there, heh.
Mar 29, 2010 at 01:08 PM
What Leo meant is that he gain access to his computer for just enough time to download and launch Combofix. But he may have downloaded it on a pendrive.

What is a stickykeys thingny? What does it look like?

If you click on the ComboFix link with will bring you to the comboxfix page where you can download it.
Mar 29, 2010 at 01:12 PM
yes, but i'm on my laptop... my DESKTOP is the one with the problems, I can't download anything from it because I can't get to anything.
and "stickykeys" is just something that pops up when you push shift 5 times in a row... it says it lets you use certain commands by clicking only one key instead of a bunch simultaneously.. but it's kind of irrelevant, since no commands are working on my computer.
Mar 29, 2010 at 01:13 PM
and I dont really know what a pendrive is... sorry :/
Mar 29, 2010 at 01:25 PM
Well,

Please do this:

*Press the Windows key on your keyboard or click Start to bring up the boot menu.
*Go to run

Then follow the steps I gave you in my 5:11 PM GMT message.

If you don't get I will go and eat my socks
Mar 30, 2010 at 05:28 AM