Computer unable to open anything. virus?

Solved/Closed
Choc-I-Scream - Mar 30, 2010 at 08:23 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 31, 2010 at 04:01 PM
Nothing is able to open on my computer, my internet isnt connecting either (using laptop right now) last night I was getting little dialog boxes saying my cmputer is infected must download 'so and so' to remove viruses etc. They kept popping up and slowed my computer down so I simly turned it off. This morning my internet wouldn't connect to wireless it ays there are no wireless connections, also everytime I want to open a file whether it be MSN or even system restore, the "open with" box comes up. My internet isn't working so I can't download anything. I can't even load up in safe mode because "msconfig" isn't working, even that comes up with the "open with" box :S
All of this suddenly happened last night, I don't remember clicking anything or downloading anything either. Also my firefox kept crashing last night. :\
Right now, I'm assuming it's a virus, but not completely sure.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 30, 2010 at 05:10 PM
Greetings,

Well, as our Majesty the Queen once said during garden party at Windsor Castle: "It appears we are marooned up the stream without an oar!"

Your system is certainly infected with Trojan Horses of uncommon nature. If we get through this, it will be our finest hour.

But first, I must know if you can boot your machine with command prompt. If you can, if you are patient, we can win over the Trojans.

The reason why I ask if you are patient is that it may take time, for I live in Canada, should you reside on another continent, there might be a decalage in time zones.

Im the meantime, I strongly suggest that you do not try to use the infected machine unless you and I try to clean it, the virus may create more damage.

Very best regards
Choc-I-Scream
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply. I used an "ultimate boot" disc to find any viruses since none of my anti viruses were working. Antivir found a trojan horse.. I deleted it and soon after my programs were beginning to work as they did before, I even got my wireless connection back and it seems as though my computer is back to normal HOWEVER, I still feel as though there is something on there, as videos I try to watch on the interenet take ages loading and keep freezing, when I have something on full screen it goes back to normal size continuously. I tried to open up this website on the computer when I received an email and it automatically closed the page. I don't feel it is safe to use my computer still, so any advice for my new problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

P.S. Would system restore help my problem? :)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Well, what an improvement! Congratulations on you initiative.

You system restore may be infected, I suggest that you scrubby dub dub your system and perhaps also delete some processes that are in there as well as registy key. The cleaning tool I will suggest to you will also clean deep in the volume information restore.

Once you have run the tool and that your system is shining, turn off your system restore for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on. Then, create a fresh restore point where you will be able to come back to if required.

Here is the tool: Malwarebyte

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Cheers
Choc-I-Scream
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM
I was thinking of simply reformatting the whole drive, I have an internal hardrive that stores all my important files as it is, so nothing i need will get deleted. I have 75GB free on the drive I want to reformat and I only have 1GB free when I'm only using up approx. 6GB of the actual drive so a reformat will be best, it will get rid of all the unnecessary rubbish I have on my computer. :)
Thanks for your help!! :D
Mar 31, 2010 at 04:01 PM
Then it makes sens to me.

So down the hatch and Bob's your uncle.

See you in Tipparary!

Veru best regards