Ask a question Report

Pc shuts down when usb is plugged [Solved]

warnfull 1Posts Sunday October 19, 2008Registration date October 20, 2008 Last seen - Latest answer on Feb 23, 2015 06:24PM
hello,
this problem started shortly and whenever I will put a usb device in it will be shutting up. Windows have adviced me to bios upgrades but I don't know anything about that can you help me please?
Read more 
Answer
+25
moins plus
I agree with Anon1 it most likely is an issue with the usb cable I tried to upload pics from my digital camera via usb and it rebooted my laptop twice. After the second time I switched the usb cable with another one and it worked perfectly. My guess is the usb cable was cheaply made, and damaged in some way. So just try a new one, it should work.
sonyeoshidae- Mar 18, 2011 09:47AM
omg u know what your comment worked the best for me hehe i spent the whole night researching and nervous thinking it might be a problem with my motherboard because i just bought this laptop.. but yeah,, the problem was the portable device. so,, no need to panic now, thanks. =)
modesttechie- Jun 3, 2011 03:38PM
No problem! I didn't think anyone would stumble across this page, I'm glad I helped and thanks for your comment!
J.- Feb 10, 2014 03:43AM
Hey hey. I got a problem about my pc, it shuts down everytime I insert it (USB). In your words, you mean that, the main problem is the USB not my pc? please make it clear for our satisfaction. Big Thanks!
modesttechie- Jan 24, 2015 02:28AM
Yes that is correct. I am saying that the main problem is the USB. Try another cable and it should work like a charm!
Hacker2.0- Feb 23, 2015 06:24PM
Go to BIOS and go to config and go to usb...then disable it.
Add comment
Answer
+12
moins plus
I just corrected the same problem on my desk top. Re-install or update your USB drivers. If that doesn't work replace your power supply. I swiched mine out and it fixed the problem.
Add comment
Answer
+4
moins plus
I have had a similar problem. I pluged in my dvd player via a usb cable and my pc shut down without notice. Now it won't boot up at all. It will turn on and all the fans run and I can hear the HDD start to run but no video or beeps. I think maybe the dvd player fried something. I've tried removing the ram, unplugging the usb cable from the mb but nothing works. The mb power led lights up so I'm thinking maybe the cpu is toast but I don't know how to check that and I don't want to buy a new one and find out that's not the problem. Any suggestions? I've also tried switching the hard drives but that did nothing.

Specs

Asus M2N-E MB
AMD Athlon 5200 CPU
4G DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 8600 GS video card

Thanks
Zero- Feb 7, 2009 07:19PM
Hey, I heard about that problem. If it's a laptop, re-plug the battery pack, that is, get it out and get it in again. I don't know about a computer, try to reinstall its battery
anon1- Sep 6, 2010 07:18AM
The computer is set to automatically reboot on fatal errors. The USB thumb
drive is likely causing this. Go to the website of the manufacturer and see
if there are more up to date drivers. If there are not, the most simple
thing to do would be to dish out the $30 or so to get a different thumb
drive rather than wasting hours of time trying to fix the problem.
Tyler1593- Nov 4, 2014 10:30AM
if its a desktop could be motherboard or power supply, if laptop could be motherboard not too sure
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi Guys
hope someone can help.
i'm having the same problem with my Hurcules RMX Dj Console. it worked fine on Desktop Siemens Fujitsu but then all of sudden when i plugged it in for next use it shut my pc down and wouldn't restart until unplugged. no worning no error message nothing!
I've tried several cables and nope - still don't want to know.. My brother has the same console so we tried his and the same happened so i know it's not a power surge form the console doing it. any ideas chaps..
Cheers
Rev
modesttechie- Jun 13, 2011 03:46PM
Hi There!

Well I would say to try a new cable but you already tried that. And you also say that the same console your brother has also affected your computer as well. In these types of cases sometimes you have to do trial and error and try to locate where the problem is. For your situation i would first

1.) Try the Hurcules RMX Dj Console with a new cable.
2.) If it is still showing a problem on your computer then try plugging in the the Hurcules RMX Dj on ANOTHER computer not yours and see what happens. If the other computer also reboots or shuts down or malfunctions in any way it must be the Console itself
3.) If it works on another computer but not yours, try and see if the USB or any other ports on your laptop are functioning properly.

Whatever the case is, I'm sure that you will be able to resolve it and I hope I helped!
Add comment
This document entitled « pc shuts down when usb is plugged » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.