Ask a question Report

My Powerbook G4 will not turn on!! [Solved/Closed]

Fox - Latest answer on May 23, 2013 06:24PM
Hi there! I was working on my G4 Powermac, with only one program open when I the battery was running low. I plugged it in the wall and the orange light on the little the plug that goes in the machine lit up. But the battery icon on screen didn't indicate any charging. When the orange light lights up on the plug it always starts charging! I turned it off and on again to get my work on a USB stick, but when I turned it on again it was only one 1% battery left so I had to turn it off..Now it has been plugged in for a long time and I can`t turn it on. The mac appears to be sleeping but the screen is black... I tried taking the battery out and in again.. to no change. When I test the battery level by pressing the battery-tester-button down one dot is fully and an other is blinking.. Does anyone have any tips. I had my mac for about 3 years
I haven't had any problems with this before. Where the outlet on the machine has a small dent in it and the so the plug doesn't sit as well in the machine as usual.. Someone please help me. I have a big deadline tonight.
:'(
Read more 
Answer
+35
moins plus
Excellent it worked I press shift+ctrl and power button, release and press the power button again a few seconds later.. delete and off button and it worked.

Thank you

Mike2006- Jun 27, 2010 10:47PM
Can you explain to me how to do this in easier terms??
1. while on, press shift+ctrl+ power button
2. release all 3 keys and press the power again (after it reboots?)
3 Delete key
4 off button
5 It should work?? Can you email me the steps? space_of_faith@yahoo.com
Answer
+9
moins plus
well i took it to apple today and they took out the battery, held down the power button for 10 seconds, put the battery back in and turned it on. it work just fine and it was charging and everything in the store. then i took it home and it wouldn't charge but i moved it to another outlet and then it worked. so i don't know if its fixed or not?? they guy at apple told me that if it keeps doing that then it would have to be sent out for repair. so i just have to wait and see.
stupid computers!

KJ- Nov 6, 2008 10:52PM
Hi,
IHads the same problem tonight,for the first time om my G4 Laptop. After trying what the Apple guy did for yours
It worked!
Mackey- Apr 3, 2010 10:11PM
This really worked I thought my Ibook G4 was finished
Thanks
AllWhiteByMe- May 22, 2013 10:47AM
worked
Answer
+8
moins plus
I found a solution on youtube. If anyone has mentioned it already sorry for reposting.

take the back off of your G4. Lift up the CD drive and you will find a little cord which is plugged in. Unplug that cord and replug it in. Fixed two laptops which would not power on at all.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Mine was doing this too.... I solved it by reconfiguring the battery settings.... When it's off, plug your mac in and press shift+ctrl and power button, release and press the power button again a few seconds later... If it doesnt work you probably need a new battery or something! I'm no expert but it worked for me !

bhavna- Apr 12, 2010 11:59AM
genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ctrl+shift+power. I was worried and had the same problem, but thanks to you, it's all better.
Atti- May 3, 2010 04:16AM
HI I just had this problem, and this fixed it wow. thank you from everyone in my family..!!
Hoofservant- May 4, 2010 08:05PM
My G4 has been toying with me the last two nights with this problem. The really funny part is that I had to boot up my old Toshiba laptop to get online so that I could find out how to fix the problem. Thanks!
clyde- Jun 13, 2010 03:00AM
my i book wont start up . when i start it up the screen is completly blank with a question mark
on its screen.... can somebody help me....
Babiedoll- Jul 16, 2010 02:35PM
My mac is about 3yrs old.. Going into 4 yrs... It served me well.. however.. when i press "on" ... i would hear the start up chime.. then the screen would turn grey, (from black) AND STAY THAT WAY ! What do I do?!?!?! Pleaseee helpppp! >> Yes the power is plugged in and everything !
Answer
+2
moins plus
I had same problem and eventually presssed and held down the on/off switch and it went off.....

Answer
+2
moins plus
Yay! this worked. Thank you.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Christina, your AC charging post has crapped out on you, a bad problem with the iBooks/Powerbooks before the advent of the MagSafe adapter. Constant wear and tear on removing/plugging the adapter wears out the charging post. You'll need to get your AC/Sound card replaced. Costs about $200 for some place like Macresq.com to do it for you. I replaced mine myself, but it's not for the faint of heart, as it takes about 20 little bitty screws of 10 different sizes to open it up and replace the part.

Once you've done that, your battery should be alright and start charging again once the adapter is being recognized again.

frustratedpoor- May 11, 2010 02:30PM
would you be willing to provide instructions on replacing the AC/Sound card? i've been googling & can't find anything.
McrRed- Jun 17, 2010 01:33PM
Try ifixit.com there's instructions there
Answer
+0
moins plus
Apparently reading on other forums the problem seems to be the battery. The g4 battery has a lifespan of 2-3 years and it wont hold a charge and the battery lights dont even go on. Purchasing a new battery will solve this problem.

wickywack- Jan 2, 2009 11:00AM
TRY TO CHARGE IT!!!!
Answer
+0
moins plus
I have the same problem, sent that to Apple, they tried changing the DC-inboard, battery and power adaptor, without success. Conclusion: the problem is in the Logic Board, which needs replacement. Too expensive for an old computer. If anyone wants to buy it, I'm selling! Powerbook G4 17" 1.67GHz. Just email me.
fabiodecarlis@hotmail.com

baum- Mar 5, 2009 08:58AM
Hey guys. I already SOLD it.
Im receiving some emails. Just to let U know.
Thanks.
This document entitled « My Powerbook G4 will not turn on!! » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.