Can't change the background display

Solved/Closed
Mrs Murray-Hill - Oct 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM
 dskjb - Jun 12, 2010 at 07:59 PM
Hello,

i've been trying to change my display picture for a couple of months now and its not working, i go into control panel and click on display but the tab for the background is not there the other tabs are there like theme, screensaver etc: please please could you help me. Thanks
Related:

18 responses

I put a picture on my computer screen and I do not like it, how can I delete just the picture background Thankyou
I found out that I can change my desktop background on Vista by converting my image to a ".BMP" file :)
Turn off your Desktop Web-Graphics, and make sure the file you are putting as your background is a Bitmap file.

Path to Turn off Web-Graphics-

>Right click on your Desktop
>Properties
>Desktop Tab
>Customise Desktop
>Web Tab

> Remove any ticks from the pages, if there.

And if that doesn't work

>Try putting a Bitmap File as your Background first.
>And then another JPEG file
thanks
Miso > shubham
Nov 23, 2009 at 04:09 AM
Thank u So much,It worked with me ....many thanks ^^
Turn off your Desktop Web-Graphics, and make sure the file you are putting as your background is a Bitmap file.

Path to Turn off Web-Graphics-

>Right click on your Desktop
>Properties
>Desktop Tab
>Customise Desktop
>Web Tab

> Remove any ticks from the pages, if there.

And if that doesn't work

>Try putting a Bitmap File as your Background first.
>And then another JPEG file
I've seen this caused by the Winantivirus Trojan and allied infections. If you download Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org and run it - then after a restart those tabs may be back.
thanks for the info about changing the backround display. It was simple and if worked..
thanks that worked like a charm
i have searched very hard for this anwser and finally found it on a paper that was in with my hp mini so i hope this helps

start by clicking the Stardock MyColors icon on your desktop it may ask you a question and if it does select yes, also if you have norton, another window might pop up, just ignore it, next after waiting no more then a miniute yet another window will open, and this should be a black window that has bars at the top giving you the options, select the wallpapers bar and then pick the wallpaper you would like and finally hit apply towards the bottom

i really hope this helps and if there are any other windows that come up in the process just use your best judgement
Stardock My Colors themes are not included with Windows 7 Starter edition. It's additional software. You can download a few free themes here, then there are many others you can purchase. https://www.stardock.com/products/themes/

But if you just want the capability of changing your background to a picture of your choosing - I also found this link that could be helpful. And it's free.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47294-desktop-background-wallpaper-change-windows-7-starter.html

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i think you have virus need to restart pc and have a look that way first backup your work first virus scan to spyware scan then save it.
HI guys, im having the same problem wiht my laptop..i did what you guys said in the messages below but my tab for background isnt even there in anymore..not through the control panel under display nor clicking on the screen. Help!
Hello am haveing the same exact problems with my background picture. I could have change it with out a problem about a year ago, but now i do every thing the same exact way every body says to do it & it would not change. I guess something has change about my computer.
dear friend just click on the below link
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47294-desktop-background-wallpaper-change-windows-7-starter.html

download it and restart the system...then click on the file created u will get the option to set the wall paper and slide slow...dont forget to say thanks if it works....i m sure u are out of this prob..
thanks gavy it worked, but isnt there any way to keep the image after i turn off my pc?
ziggy7 Posts 117 Registration date Wednesday February 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 7, 2009
Feb 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM
hi Mrs Murray-Hill,
u just have to Right click, select properties and select desktop,then u will able to make ur choice there ;-)
Like everyone else is saying the tab is not there and when you right click on the image and click add as background it does not work. I'm having the same problem
i have the aspire one laptop,its the little bitty one from walmart..and when i right click on my home page..it just shows up View,Refresh, Sort By, Paste, Paste Shortcut, Graphics Properties, Graphics Options, New, Screen Resolution, and Gadgets..and ive tryed everything..i even called the geek squad at Best Buy..i dont know what to do,....
Since you have a small netbook you're probably using the Starter version of Windows 7 which doesn't allow you to change your background. It's lame if you ask me - I didn't realize this until after I bought my daughter a netbook with Starter Win 7 and that's really the ONE thing that she immediately wanted to do. Who doesn't want to personalize their desktop? If anyone has a work around I'd love to hear about it.
JDUBB > jenwilde
Dec 18, 2009 at 08:02 AM
Is there a way to upgrade from the windows starter version 7 so it will allow more features of windows 7???Thats a weird deal, thats the first thing everyone does is change the background........
jenwilde > JDUBB
Dec 18, 2009 at 01:10 PM
Yes, you can upgrade Windows 7 Starter - for a price. Someone wrote an app to change the wallpaper though. Check out this thread.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?p=201317
you cant change it because it is windows 7 starternot windows 7
Update your windos xp with your CD.this may fix your problem.(insert xp cd click Update).so u dont want to format or re install the apps.check this post to know HOW TO PUT BACKGROUND IMAGES BEHIND FOLDERS:
http://digitdiary.co.nr/2009/09/how-to-put-background-image-behind.html
On my windows You go to google images right click and it says set as backround and. You click on it
i have a samsung little note book and it wont let me change the background..........ive tried everything but IT WONT WORK FOR ANYTHING............please HELP ME........im getting sick of it..........hopefully someone helps:) im so sick.............................and tired of this ..........................stupid thig
Like i put it set to background and when i go look and see it not there can yu plz help me
if you have windows 7 starter which is what i have for my netbook. Your computer doesnt have the capabilities to change the background,etc. What i found out that works is this program called stardock. u just download it and thru there u can change ur background.

REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS 7 STARTER YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR BACKGROUND, YOUR COMPUTER DOESNT HAVE THE CAPABILITIES....

so if you just download stardock the problem will be solved. its safe and its free to download
i have the same problem.. ugh!
windows ocean background changer. google it. download it. it works great
Hi Mrs Murray-Hill if you want to change your destop picture then you go on the internet and find an image you want. Then you right click on the picture and click on set as background. Then its done. Love From Connie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Im a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!