Matching variables between cells

Closed
D - Apr 17, 2010 at 04:35 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Apr 17, 2010 at 05:52 AM
Hey folks,

So here's my problem:

I'm creating an excel document to keep track of my personal expenditure -- the layout right now represent a calender for each month, with the weeks separated by columns (i.e. Column A listing Monday through Sunday, week 1 in column B, week 2 in column C and etc). For each day, I have been listing my expenses like so;

Cell B5: Breakfast, Coffee, Train, Beer, Groceries
Cell B6: =11+2+2+1.5+30

So essentially, I list all the items I purchased in one cell (B5), then underneath (B6) list all the costs that add up to the daily total.

I would now like to create statistics in reference to my spending, like how much I spend on coffee, groceries etc.

Is there any way that I can match f.ex. Groceries with 30 by keeping the present layout? Basically I need to create an IF statement that recognizes the word "groceries" inside a cell, then determines its position (indicated by commas), and then finds the matching position in the cell below (indicated by plus) and outputs that cost.

I'm hoping this can be done without macros, but at this point I would appreciate any input!

Dennis

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Apr 17, 2010 at 05:52 AM
Without macro it would be hard to do it and may be not worth the effort. One way without macro and perhaps very much DO-IT-YOURSELF would be you change your sheet design, And have each individual item listed individually in cells instead this combo manner.