Step by step procedure for creating LAN

Solved/Closed
joy - Updated on Jul 30, 2017 at 04:53 AM
 Vinayak - Jan 20, 2018 at 05:10 AM
hello sir, I work in a office where I have to make a LAN connection within 15 machines by using broadband connection. please guide me step by step procedure for creating the LAN connection. the office has provided me one switch having 10 ports. And the operating system inthe machines are windows XP and windows Vista. So please tell me the step by step procedure for making the LAN connection.
Related:

3 responses

Muneer Mubashir
Jul 2, 2010 at 05:04 PM
instead of the switch...if u wud have been provided a router that wud have been more better. switch can even work but you need one extra LAN card in one Computer and that Computer will be called as server.

1. take the computer for which you are making server, insert the second LAN in that computer.
2. connect your internet connection into the first LAN (inbuilt) on that computer.
3. enter the IP address which you got from your ISP and check whether you can able to use internet on that system.
4. Now make sure that the second LAN is detected and is showing Unplugged.
5. open properties of the first LAN (inbuilt LAN) and then go to "Advanced" option which is available on the top, then check both the boxes and say ok. and close everything.
6. now take an Internet cable which is crimped on both the sides with same colors of wires.
7.connect one end to the second LAN and the other end to the switch.
8. Now open your second LAN properties and go to the TCP/IP properties and there enter IP address as (192.168.0.1) or anything you wish Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) and the gateway as (192.168.0.1).
NOTE :- THE GATEWAY SHOULD BE SAME AS THE IP ADDRESS ONLY FOR THE SERVER.
9. Now open click on the switch and you will get a notification on your server saying that "Local Area Connection 2" is connected.
10. Now take an another Internet cable and one end of that cable should be in any one port of the Switch and the other should be in the second computer.
11. Now you will get a notification that you are connected to internet, open the LAN properties and enter the IP address as (192.168.0.2) subnet mask and gateway should be same as server. say ok
12. You will now be able to browse Internet on that particular system now.
13. do the same with the rest of the systems.
NOTE :- THE IP ADDRESSES SHOULD NOT BE USED SAME FOR TWO SYSTEMS. SO BETTER GO WITH 192.168.0.1 (FOR SERVER) 192.168.0.2 (1ST CLIENT) 192.168.0.3(SECOND CLIENT) AND SO ON.......BUT THE SUBNET MASK AND GATEWAYS SHOULD BE SAME FOR ALL THE CLIENT AND SERVER SYSTEM.

and one more thing should be kept in mind that is you wont be able to browse internet Unless or Until your Server Pc is turned ON.
great 1
thanks sir
Shekharsouth Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 30, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2017
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Thank u so much sir...nw.i can start my career by the help of u.....thnx again
Thanks...
Thank you