No Internet for Server 2003

Solved/Closed
Way Lost Admin - Oct 29, 2008 at 01:45 PM
 Tony - May 2, 2011 at 05:34 AM
Hello,
I have a system which consists of a Domain Controller two terminal servers and various other servers. All of the servers are running server 2003. The system was running great yesterday. Last night I installed the latest updates from Microsoft and rebooted the machines. This morning I get a bunch of calls from the users saying that they can send e-mail but can not receive e-mail. I checked the terminal servers and Yes the users can log on but I can't access the internet through IE. I can Ping some sites IE Google and Fusemail (the e-mail server) but I can't ping others IE Microsoft and ebay. the rest of the servers which were not updated can still browse the internet with no problem it's just the two machines that I updated.
Does anyone have any clue as to what I could try. The rest of my machines are saying they have updates ready but I'm afraid to upgrade them for fear I'll loose the internet on those machines.
Thanks For your help.

4 responses

check the Mail services is running or (started) not (SMTP) ,did you disable the antivirus before windows update...?jus try it..dissable or uninstall the Antivirus...then check the ports for internet..then install the AV ..surely this will works..
AVG Technical Support
Dec 15, 2008 at 07:50 AM
Hello guys.

Please note that these components are NOT intended for servers, and should be used ONLY on single workstations:

- Firewall
- E-mail Scanner
- Webshield

In most cases, when you install AVG on a server operating system, it is highly recommend to install only the "Resident Shield" option, which will enable virus protection.
This worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927695
Any updates on this? Also, do you have Enhanced Security enabled?
Do you have AVG 8 running? I had same problem, no internet connectivity after a server re-boot. I disabled the "internet related" services in AVG and now I have internet. Hope this fixes for y'all.
Johnny > Johnny
Nov 26, 2008 at 09:33 AM
Specifically, in AVG disable Web Shield and Link Scanner.
Andre > Johnny
Dec 10, 2008 at 07:57 AM
Great solution! I disabled these AVG services and resume the internet access!
Thanks a lot!
cpat > Johnny
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Thank you so much this has been an issue on my sever for about a month I had been looking at all my DNS settings over and over!
Hey guys,

I have the same problem on a server on 2003 I just set up, but with no antivirus installed on the tower at all; just on the four workstations I have (Kaspersky 6.0). I was wondering if it could have anything to do with one of the roles I installed? (AD, DNS, POP3, PRINT MANAGEMENT).