Ask a question Report

Desktop keyboard types wrong letter [Solved/Closed]

wondering - Latest answer on Jan 10, 2013 09:46AM
Hello,
Have a keyboard that will go wierd and type the wrong letters. Have already changed to a new keyboard so it is not that - It does not do it all the time - but is getting more and more often that it does. It is a microsoft keyboard - the system is Windows XP - there has not been anything spilt on it. Any suggestions please!
Read more 
Answer
+227
moins plus
Had the same problem. Solved it by hitting the NUM LK/SCRN LK key.

Pooja Bhandari- Nov 1, 2012 01:34AM
it did not work on my laptop.
heckyeah- Nov 5, 2012 12:26AM
Heck yeah dude. Thanks for posting this!
jojo- Dec 1, 2012 05:36AM
omg! love ya! it did the trick!!!!
Oz- Dec 21, 2012 03:29AM
wow, spot on ..this worked THANK YOU for posting ( i was about to don load a new virus checker etc etc etc). glad you posted. Merry Christmas to you !!!
Gary- Dec 22, 2012 02:36PM
thanks a tonnnnnnnnnnn dear
Answer
+152
moins plus
Try hitting CTRL and Shift at the same time. I had the same problem...realized it was this key combination that would toggle a scrambled keyboard.

thelobonator- Aug 28, 2009 11:45PM
hey thanks for that, i was scrolling down this page trying every single suggestion, none of them which worked
and i was getting more and more desperate, yours was the last one on the page and it worked!!
thanks soooooooooo much.
Answer
+72
moins plus
IF YOUR LAPTOP IS WINDOWS XP ... JUST PRESS FN AND NUM LK IT REALLY WORKS!!!

t- Apr 16, 2010 06:54PM
really works!!! thanks a bunch
Remy- May 8, 2010 09:00AM
thanks the very much! it work!
YUYU- Jun 22, 2010 05:20PM
THANKS A BUNCH! I WAS GOING CRAZY FOR A MINUTE NOT FINDING A SOLUTION..
CHAN- Jan 1, 2013 11:01PM
this really work , i turn off the num lock there no more type wrong letters or scramble mix number and letter any more. thanks for posting guy.
maria- Jan 10, 2013 09:46AM
thanks so much. i was goint hysterical and nuts for awhile lol
Answer
+26
moins plus
I had the same problem. If your letters show up as numbers then the nums lock should help. If your letters show up as the wrong letters, nums lock may not help. What I did was right click on the windows task bar, then clicked on toolbars and selected language bar. This should make a little keyboard show up on the windows task bar. Click on the keyboard and it should show u the diff language settings for the keyboard. I simply selected English - USA and violla, it was back to normal.

Answer
+23
moins plus
presses ctrl+shift+num lock key and it works in IBM thinkpad laptop

Answer
+22
moins plus
ok i mean that u have written above ok
try this one
open run
1st goto start
then click on run
the run window will open there u type osk
then press enter

after doing it u will see the layout of your keyboard ok

sugarpuff- Jan 6, 2009 03:47PM
Hiya does this work for laptops too please i am havin trouble because half of my keyboad is writing in letters and the other half is writing in numbers do you have any suggestions please it's an acer laptop
Moya- Jan 6, 2009 03:52PM
Yes Windows is windows regardless What system your using:D The 6000 series computer i mentioned was a laptop.
Answer
+14
moins plus
plz check the kyboard format form control panel and then go to keyboard then chck the keyboard setting ok

Answer
+13
moins plus
Good Day I have a Prob with my Desktop keyboard when i type letter I or letter O i get funny charecters appearing,
any suggestions please?

zayad- Jan 29, 2009 10:32AM
hi
i have read ur forum just open the eyboard and clear it with cleaner or cleanning agent ok it is a problem caused by dust
jh- Jun 3, 2009 07:53PM
Unplug the keyboard and retry. I had a similar prob.
omegaballa- Jun 15, 2010 05:00AM
That deosnt work for me. ok here's an example; trying to type my name OMEGA gives 60EGA. i am using an ibm thinkpad and this problem started just as i reformatted my laptop with xp sp3. right now i am using an onscreen keyboard. i have equally tried out all to no avail (num lck, fn, control panel language config etc). help!
Answer
+13
moins plus
ok im having a problem where my keyboard types wrong letters ive tried everything ive seen to fix it. it started when i shut off my asian language settings then turned it back on. now everytime i open a ne IE window or any window i have to hold alt+ shift to make it type normal. having to Alt+shift evertime i open a new window is getting annoying is there anyway to change it back so i dont have to Alt+shift all the time to make it type normal?

Answer
+11
moins plus
Just wanted to say I have been dealing with this issue for 3 weeks cutting and pasting letters from webpages into the address bar to get where i needed to go, i thought i needed to buy a new laptop, my husband knocked over my laptop during a some nighttime action if you get my drift and I have been screwed ever since (lol) worked like a charm no more cutting/pasting for me and no more laptop by the bed.

Answer
+9
moins plus
just hit [Num Lock]
it should be ok

Answer
+8
moins plus
Thank you.. Control shift worked for me. I noticed that it was only happening when i used firefox and when i restarted firefox, that solved the problem. I realized it was probably a key combo that i pressed but until now i didnt know what to do about it. Thanks........

Answer
+8
moins plus
ok i just had a similar issue and found the solution. My laptop has multiple language keyboards. Now you can go to control panel and switch it or hit the combination of short cut keys that change it. Here is the problem, when you switch it with the short cut keys, it doesnt show up as a change on the control panel hence making you think your still using US keyboard when in fact your using Spain keyboard (as i was lol) for my short cut key it was left arrow alt shift. To find out what yours is open up control panel go to regional and language options. then keyboards and languages tab, click change keyboards then hit the advanced key settings tab and you will see a list of hot keys, one should say between input languages and that combo is it.

Answer
+4
moins plus
ohhhhhhhhhh ty ty. my garbled keyboad was only happening word documents and making me nuts. cntrl shft did it.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I had the exact same problem with my dell lap top. If you look at the keyboard you can see on the letters J K L (for example) there are also numbers that share those keys. The keys that letters and numbers share act as the 10 key calculator that used to share the keyboard. If you simply shut your num lock off it will turn the numbers off.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Ty very much. I have been having trouble with my Hp Z6000. I was looking under keyboard setting with no luck in finding options. I did not know about the "osk" command which i assume stands for On Screen Keyboard. I Saw that the keyboard was set up differently. The owner of the laptop is from Mexico and had set the US keyboard for that region. lol Thanks again saved me a lot of trouble.

-Moya

zayad- Jan 7, 2009 06:10AM
hi moya
osk means on screen keyboard it work by just clicking the mouse pointer on osk ok
to open it just
go to start
then go to run
the dialouge box will open then there write osk press enter
mom- Feb 27, 2009 10:55AM
thanks it worked a lot slower but at least i can access my stuff / only paid 80.00 for it so my computer guy said it would cost over 100.00 to fix / what to do
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi, This forum is very helpful. I tried searching for 15 minutes and I found the message with a link to Madking's tip. Function+Num lock worked for my samsung laptop. Thanks very much Madking.

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have checked the region and language settings in the control panel... Is this part of what you were meaning - it is on English (United States) which is what I want. I have gone to the keyboard option in the Control panel and it says it is works right - even though it is not.

is this what you were meaning?

thank you for your suggestions and help!

Answer
+0
moins plus
hey i just had this same problem on an XPS 210 with a dell multimedia keyboard. Windows XP with SP3. I just had to unplug the keyboard, then restart the computer and plug it back in. Fixed! I think you may need to check that the driver was uninstalled in the device manager before restarting. If the keyboard isn't listed then it has automatically been uninstalled and you should be good. Hope this helps

Answer
+0
moins plus
Had same problem. Just reinstalled windows. I had not selected English installation. Selected American instead. Go to control panel, regional and Language options- English (United Kingdom) - alter it there. The American keyboard is different. Hope it helps.

This document entitled « desktop keyboard types wrong letter » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.