Excel (Searching, Finding and Returning)

Closed
Rick - May 3, 2010 at 05:19 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - May 4, 2010 at 07:58 AM
Hi

I have not yet learned how to write working excel formulas very well, and I was looking for a short bit of help...

I would like an arbitrary cell (call it D6) to search Column A for text ("Sum Value:") and return the text in the cell below it.

I import text files which contain highly variable amounts of rows, the only way I can return the information I need is to find the cell above it in the same column, any suggestions?

Rick
Related:

2 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 3, 2010 at 05:49 PM
Could you post the book where it is NOT pulling the data. One has to see the data to tell you the answer. there Could be space issue, non-printing character etc. So unless one see the data, hard to tell you. Post the file and paste thelink back here as you did before
I could not post the page but did the next best thing:

Broker
Broker contact person
Broker e­mail
Broker contact number
Risk address
Erf Number

Contact person
Name
Contact Number
Cell

Sum Insured:
Building (Additional Dwelling)

Comments

This is Column A, I would like Cell D6=(cell below "Sum Insured:") ,but "Sum Insured:" is never in the same cell location, ie A23, and the cell below can be 1 of 100 texts.

What I basically need is for it to Search Column A, Find "Sum Insured:" and return "Buildings (Additional Dwelling)" for this example.

Thank you for replying so quickly
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 4, 2010 at 07:58 AM
Still not sure what you are looking for but this formula in D7 should pull the data based on whats in d6

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(D6,A:A,0)), "", INDIRECT("A" &MATCH(D6,A:A,0)+1))