Desk top won't load icon's on start up

Solved/Closed
DONTXO - Updated on Jan 26, 2019 at 01:40 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jul 1, 2010 at 05:10 AM
Hello,

Desktop won't load icons on startup for Windows XP-Home Ed. There is no bottom toolbar icon either. I am seeing that desktop wallpaper only.

It has HDD 160 GB, memory RAM 2 GB, Hewlett Packard tower. This is my wife's computer. She said that she hit something on START UP but doesn't know what. With my knowledge, it's like the blind leading the blind. I am almost dumber than dirt when it is about computers.

Please help!
System Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0
Related:

10 responses

Hey,
  • Would suggest you try Ctrl+Alt+Del
  • Go to Processors
  • Then New and type:
    Explorer.exe

Thanks!
OtarutCinimod
Nov 3, 2008 at 05:03 AM
Hello, just read your reply and my PC is exactly the same and have to typr in explorer.exe to start up desktop. Is there a specific reason for this and how would I need to rectify the problem, would I need to re-load or repair Windows using disc as I dont want to lose all my pictures stored. Thanks :)
i did what you said but it comes up with a message " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. " what do I do now