Ask a question Report

Cannot browse, but have internet connection? [Solved/Closed]

billygoat 6Posts Wednesday May 5, 2010Registration date May 5, 2010 Last seen - Latest answer on Jun 28, 2013 03:12AM
Hello all,
Here's my situation: I have a HP Pavillion desktop with Vista and a wireless modem.
I am connected to the internet, have all four green lights on the modem and five bars in my startup menu wireless icon. I cannot browse, however, I keep getting the HTTP 403 error message on Explorer and "server not found" on Firefox.
I have tried talking to the trouble shooting staff at AT&T, HP and the store I purchased the computer and no avail. It pings, it recognizes the IP address, everything seems in order but I still cannot browse. I have looked up all potential solutions on this site including downloading "winsockfix" several cmd instructions and resets, resetting internet options, turning off firewall, etc...I am completely lost. Someone please suggest something useful.
To make matters worse, I am typing this from my XP laptop which connects to the same modem, also using wireless. So, I know the connection works and am pretty sure the issue is Vista related. Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
Read more 

moins plus
the problem your having most likely has to do with a virus. i myself have just removed a virus that allowed me to ping but not browse as the virus actually acts as a proxy server itself and changes all your browsers to use itself as a proxy server. if you have anti virus installed it's probably because your anti virus has quarantined the virus thus it's not able to redirect the traffic through itself anymore. you need to manually remove the proxy server settings on your browsers and also even though your anti virus may have gotten rid of 2 files the virus is probably still there. as for mine there were 3 processes but only 2 were detected. the files that were viruses for me were csrss.exe, conhost.exe and dwm.exe. even though i had actual system processes with those name i realized they were the virus as in the description they would only show the name of the process and not an actual description in the task manager. after i had deleted all of them i manually changed my proxy settings. for firefox had to type in about:config and reset all the proxy settings that pointed to local host or and in internet explorer i had to use regedit to edit the system registry to remove proxy setting entries under internet explorer.

CKK- Jul 22, 2011 01:56AM
this is the exact problem i had, and i did everything except what you suggested, and it worked beautifully. For IE though, an easier way would be to go to tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings, and uncheck "Use a proxy server..." Thanks much for the help!!
junnyj- Jun 12, 2013 07:35PM
it's cool how a opposite things can help someone, I got the same problem but now I check "use a proxy server " and it's work for me , I think first of all people have to look the configuration of the wireless signal first then it'll be good thanks so much CKK.
imun- Jun 28, 2013 03:12AM
@ckk...thank u so much for the information.i had the same problm bt nw its vurus nothing...thank u sooooooooo much.
moins plus
My situation is exactly the same as you described above. However, I couldln't find the entry in the registry to remove with regedit. Could you please be more specific? Thanks.

moins plus
well this happens to me sometimes but just for few seconds or minut at most
browsing stop even though download works already perfect and messengers but only browsing is the problem and i know also its a problem of my ISP
your internet provider... contact them and they should tell you how to fix it
because even if you used any other browsers you will still get same issue
and even you deleted cookies and temp files and everything... i think its related to ISP .

billygoat 6Posts Wednesday May 5, 2010Registration date May 5, 2010 Last seen - May 5, 2010 03:15PM
thanks, tiger

unfortunately this not the case as I have talked to the ISP for several hours and they can't do anything, also my laptop which is XP works fine...any other suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
TIGERsHAKER 55Posts Tuesday May 4, 2010Registration date ContributorStatus May 15, 2010 Last seen - May 5, 2010 05:34PM
your welcome dude..
well i see its different in your case so you may ty to flush your dns when it does this
here you go
start > All programs > Command prompt ( Right click and Run as administrator )
then copy : ipconfig /flushdns
and hit enter
and i would like for you also to check the next link :
billygoat 6Posts Wednesday May 5, 2010Registration date May 5, 2010 Last seen - May 5, 2010 05:51PM it says "the requested operation requires elevation" you know what that means?

i looked at the link you sent, thanks...but i can't get it to do anything?!

confusing confusing...but as long as you have suggestions i'll keep trying

TIGERsHAKER 55Posts Tuesday May 4, 2010Registration date ContributorStatus May 15, 2010 Last seen - May 6, 2010 06:39AM
well we can also try to change the ip
check out :

as we may know now thats its windows issue
so you can perform this command ( sfc /scannow)
check out to know how to do it :

and let me know what happend
moins plus
Some advices:

- Open command prompt, ping (, see whether it works. If not, there is Internet connection problem. Check out this wireless network troubleshooting article to get more ideas.

- If can ping IP but can't ping, it can be DNS resolving problem. Try to configure following free DNS servers provided by Google and test again.

This document entitled « Cannot browse, but have internet connection? » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.