System Error / Desktop files missing

Closed
lloyd- - May 12, 2010 at 02:19 PM
 Thenerd - May 12, 2010 at 06:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an ASUS mini laptop that does not come with a DVD drive, and unfortunately my Windows XP had a system crash and each time I try to get it to work, I get a black screen telling me that: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt system: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" and that I should insert a Windows XP setup CD and press 'r' for repair.

I bought an external DVD drive just for that and inserted my XP dvd but it just didn't work (guess it's not a full setup, maybe it didn't have any repair tools in it). Anyway, I decided that maybe I need to install a fresh new WIN XP on one of the partitions hoping that I may be able to access my files on the other partition at least. I installed XP on D: but still I could not find the files that were on the Desktop of C: but I found the others, just the desktop files were completely missing!

The problem is that those files are so important to me and I don't care about anything else really but those files. Is there any way to recover those files?

Thanks

Related:

1 response

If it is a windows computer then you can use a system recovery which can be found in the control panel. I would tell you more but I'm using a windows 7 right now.