Can't delete .mpg file

Solved/Closed
KGJ - Nov 3, 2008 at 05:06 PM
 Noname - Dec 13, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Hello,
I have a specific file, that is a .mpg, in my "my music" folder that cannot be deleted or dragged to recycle bin. The only 'right click' options it provides is: Play, Add to (few different ones), open with, textpad, and then send to. I have tried scanning this file for viruses but nothing. The file name is fairly long and is explicit. I know obvious thoughts would be I should download certain files of this nature but it takes an experience to understand I suppose. I also tried command prompt but I am not 100% sure if I attempted it correctly. Soooo, can anyone help? feel free to ask any questions that I may have not answered. This file has been here for quite some time and couldn't tell you when I actually downloaded it. Thanks

KGJ
Related:

10 responses

rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 4, 2008 at 05:33 PM
Clink on the link below and download "Unlocker." That program should do the trick...................Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
Great, it did work...i too had d same problem.....Siba
It worked. Thank you very much.
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 4, 2008 at 09:34 PM
OK.................Highlite the file, then hold the shift button and press delete. This should rid the file permanently. If the file is still on your PC, reboot then check it again. It should disappear once U reboot...........Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Sir-jackington
Sep 16, 2009 at 10:55 AM
Just wanted to say tank you so much for hold shift and the click delete I had a file I spent weeks trying to get rid of and I was not far away from downloading some software for it
Nov 4, 2008 at 09:39 PM
If you have encountered this problem, here is a step-by-step process for trying to purge the files you can't delete. It starts with the basics for Windows XP and moves on to more involved tricks. The process will work for all recent Windows releases, but Windows XP has been causing the most the problems, so we will focus on it. Please note: we are assuming that the file is not crucial to the operation of Windows - deleting important system files can cause havoc.

1. Is the file in use? It sounds obvious but it happens. If it is being used or open, close the file and the application that opened it. For example, if it is a Word document, close Microsoft Word.
2. If the file was opened in an application (and subsequently closed), but the program is still running, try quitting the program. Windows will lock a file because the application hasn't yet released it. This is not always Windows fault and can be the fault of the program.
3. If the file is an AVI, in particular a DivX AVI, try renaming it and then deleting it. DivX files don't get on very well with Windows XP and sometimes renaming the file can trick Windows into releasing it.
4. Reboot your PC and don't start any programs. Go directly to the file and delete it.
5. In Windows Explorer, switch to View-Details and then select View-Choose Details. Uncheck everything except the file name. This stops Windows XP trying to read the file - this problem affects many video, audio and graphics files.
6. Still no luck? OK, here is the best trick of all. Most sites give you cryptic Windows registry and DOS commands to remove a file, but the answer is so much simpler. Get a copy of MoveOnBoot. It's free and this simple tool allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows starts, hence it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its instructions. There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process.

Step 1: Locate the name of the file that is causing your problems.

Step 2: Decide if you want to copy, move or delete the file.

Step 3. Choose a destination for moving the file, or a new file name for the rename option (this option won't appear if you are deleting a file).

Click OK to confirm you want to process. The nice thing is that the program doesn't make you reboot straight away. It's a good idea to reboot ASAP, but if you are in the middle of something and want to wait, the program will simply run next time you start Windows.

7. If the file reappears again (check its creation date to ensure it is being recreated) and you can't make it budge, you may have trouble with spyware or a virus on your system (don't overlook the possibility it may also be an important system file). In this case you should get a good spyware removal program to scan your system.
https://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlUnlocker.html

try this unlocker. it works wonder.. if this one doesnt work fine, then download the latest version of it..
thanx alot anna.. unlocker was wonderful...
Thank you so much, I have been trying for 4 days and nothing this resolved my problem

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
This program did not successfully rid the .mpg file... I do not know how to exactly explain it. Any other advice/questions?
Same thing happened to me. Googled for an hour and found http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/ DelinvFile - Delete Invalid Files and Folders. It worked like a charm. The file is now gone from my computer
aDigitalThinker
Feb 1, 2009 at 08:15 AM
Hi sap812,
Your a genius. I have had the same problem for some days and after you advise download it and ran .....Guess what it worked I haev my PC back up and running. Thanks so much for posting ☺
thanks so much, I had a dirty video of myself, and it wouldn't delete!!! thanks to the unlocker!!! xoxo
Thanks.It worked renaming the file immediately after restarting.
man ty the progam works like a charm ,,, this help me alot
Sickofwindowsproblems
May 1, 2010 at 07:13 PM
Unlocker is the answer!!! Fantastic program!!