Stuck on desktop without loading icons

Solved/Closed
avi - May 18, 2010 at 05:45 AM
 Bim - Oct 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Hello,

I have been having a strange problem the last few weeks which has been getting worse. When I turn on the computer, windows XP gets to the desk top but gets stuck before loding the icons. I have to turn the computer off and on about three times till I get through to the icons. I have the blue task bar on thye bottom, also without icons. The icons load with the safe boot. I have run my McAffe scan anfd there is no evidence of virus seen. What can I do? Please help.

Avi
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
May 18, 2010 at 05:50 AM
Greeting Avi,

Your issue is very easy to resolve!

Please follow these steps:

reboot your computer in the Safe mode with command prompt.

Once Windows loaded, command prompt (black window) opens. Type notepad and press Enter.

A notepad window opens. Type the following text into notepad:

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Myantispyware.com

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=regsec

[regsec]
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,Shell,0x00000020,"Explorer.exe"

Save this as fix.inf to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad). Close Notepad.

In the command prompt type Explorer.exe and Press Enter. Windows Explorer opens. Locate the fix.inf, click right button and select Install. Close Windows Explorer.

In the command prompt type shutdown -r and press Enter. Your computer will be rebooted.

VoilĂ !

Please, I would appreciate your feedback, if you don't I may throw a curse on your system that will cause your icons to bark all the time.:)))

Regards
Man I don't usually write comments but u are a genius I couldn't get my icons to come on for about two weeks. Did everything u said and it's back working thanks a lot.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Dec 13, 2010 at 05:17 PM
Well thank you very much for your feedback! I am blushing! Give to the next.
I have the same problem,but I think mine is a virus. Even in safe mode I still only see my wallpaper, but no desktop. I tried the above, but sill no good. When I typed Explorer.exe, IE would never open. I can opened it through taskmanager though and tried it but it still won't work? Maybe you can help?

Thanks,
Sal
Awesome fix dude sorted my PCs thanks for the fix