Connected to the internet but can't browse

Solved
Btownhero - Updated on Oct 26, 2017 at 03:21 PM
 Drazaloth - May 15, 2018 at 03:04 AM
Hello, I was just surfing on firefox one day and decided that I wanted to try out google chrome on my computer. I tried to download it directly from the source at google, but download of the installer would not finish. I then tried the setup that installs it over the Internet, but the installer would not proceed. It recommended that I change the settings on my firewall, which I did. After doing that no browser, whether it be firefox, safari, ie, or anything else, is allowing me to browse the internet, they just keep telling me that eithr the session has timed out or they could not connect to the server. I have everything that is checkable, I have run virus/spyware/malware scans, I've done the resetting of the Internet explorer options, I've also run the Norton remover. None of these things has worked. I also tried to run a system restore on my computer, but an "unidentifiable error" keeps it from working no matter which restore point I choose. I know it's not the network because one of the computers in the house is hooked up to the dsl modem while another one is connected to the wireless router, neither of which are working with my laptop. I really need some help to resolve this.

3 responses

allen007 Posts 3 Registration date Monday September 10, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 10, 2012 37
Updated on Nov 30, 2018 at 04:14 PM
Follow these steps incase your Internet connection is connected but you cant browse using any of the browsers.
You might be able to play games online like CS 1.6,DOTA or HORN but JUST cant access any website.

METHOD 1: Resolve your DNS settings to that of Google's
  • 1. Go to LAN settings
    • Control panel > Network and Inernet > Change adapter settings > Right click on local area connections > Properties > Click on IPv4 > Properties >
    • Use following DNS server address > Preferred DNS : 8.8.8.8 Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4.
    • Check validate settings upon exit.
    • If it still doesnt work then repeat the above steps but uncheck validate settings.

METHOD 2: WINSOCK reset
  • 1.Go to run and type 'cmd' (Run as administrator)
    • Type
      netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
      and press enter
    • Type
      netsh winsock reset
      and press enter
    • Reboot

METHOD 3: DNS Flush
  • 1.Go to run and type 'cmd' (Run as administrator)
    • Type
      ipconfig /flushdns
      and press enter
    • Reboot

If none of the above methods work then do a boot time scan using your antivirus cos it might be a virus attack thats causing the problem.
Thank you so much. may god bless you for Giving your time in this.
omg u are awsome thx so much woooo