Ask a question Report

Automatically shutdown [Solved/Closed]

pet2x - Latest answer on May 5, 2013 12:25PM
i play games such as rakion, warrock, cabal and etc. it automatically shutdown after few hours, some few minutes. can you help why this is happen? i read from this page that cleaning the CPU. can you teach me how to clean the cpu? thank you..
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
can you help me?
Read more 

moins plus

The shutdown can occure because of a high temperature of your graphic card or cpu. Some computers shutdown the computer as a security when the heat of the cpu or the graphic card is too high to prevent damage.

Maybe you have dust on the CPU fan or the graphic card fan that prevents the heat from evacuating correctly.

To clean the fans, you must use an air pressurised spray can. If the shutdown still happens after the cleaning, the other options are graphic driver problem which makes the computer crash when a specific graphic information of the game goes through the graphic card. A driver update of the Graphic card can help sometimes.

The last option could be a problem with your power supply. Maybe your configuration asks too much power for your configuratoin especially when you play games. So their is an electrical crash of your power supply which could explain the shutdown.

Hope this will help.

moins plus
I have aspire 4736G and i have the same problem to. The main reason for this automated shutdown is because the heatsink problem . From my case, my fan is mess up with dust because Im always working my laptop on the bed. Maybe I can suggest some tips to recognize if your have some similar problem like mine.

1) Found out what your GPU/CPU temperature are

You can easily download this useful windows desktop gadget from this link.
After that you can made some experience with your laptop. The gadget will show the temperature of your GPU (mine is geforce G105M). Usually when u running the 3D program such as games, 3D software even google earth also the GPU unit temperature would be increase.
So what you can do is run any game( or any 3D software), but DO NOT RUN IN FULL SCREEN as our objective to observe what is the temperature show on this gadget. You can see the temperature of your GPU would increasing. If the temp achieve to 99-100C then your notebook would automatically shutdown. This because the BIOS is already program to force shutdown if the the temp is getting to 100C. (or sometime 105C) to prevent a absolute damage to your laptop.

2) fast Solution: Buy notebook cooling pad.

Buy the cooling pad and make sure, the fan of the cooling pad is directly to your heatsink ventilation. (It was at bottom left side of your laptop). Cooler Master X-lite or X2 series is good for the aspire 4736G model as the huge diameter fan of this cooler pad can cover up your heatsink ventilation. Try to observe your temp. again. If u dont have any notebook cooling pad, you can experimentally using normal fan. (stand fan should be good). Just face up the bottom of your laptop directly to the fan and u can see the temperature would be decrease.

3)difficult Solution: Clean up your heatsink.

This would require you to disamble your 4736G totally. I would not telling how to do the best way you need to send your laptop to the service center or technician. However if u really want to, u can download the service guide for 4736G at

Another u should know that, the heasink cover up the CPU and GPU unit together not like other laptop model which are separated. If you have like problem like just in stand by mode (just running window without any application) and suddenly shut down. That mean you are totally MESS UP with your heatsink. But then it could maybe from the other problem occur.

Zikri- Jul 12, 2010 11:56PM
I have an acer 4736G. After installing the hwmonitor software from, I realised that the laptop will shutdown when the Nvidia GPU temperature exceeds 100 degrees. And this will happen when I'm playing games or making DVD videos. I've tried using laptop cooler and the temperature still rises. I guess need to clear the dust clogging the cooling system. Problem is, i do not know exactly which screws to open and where to clean. Everytime I disassemble and then reassemble anything, I tend to have extra screws which I don't know where they belong to.
UberNinjaTurtleGamer 1Posts Saturday May 4, 2013Registration date May 4, 2013 Last seen - May 4, 2013 09:21AM
I had the same problem. It was just something i downloaded that was messing it up. I fixed it now.
Di- May 5, 2013 12:25PM
my friend has finished updated dota 2...when he open the game...his laptop automatic shutdown...he try to open another game such as left 4 dead but it the there a problem with the cpu heat or graphic card driver crash or somewhat...?
moins plus
I have the same problem with windows 7, eventually i have tried cabal, warcraft 3, left4dead, sunonline.. It will auto shutdown when the game running for 20mins, sometimes even less than that.. 5mins it will shutdown. Most of all, the laptop is NEW! Just purchased it on Nov 2009, Acer Aspire 4736G, use it less than 1 week, this kind of problem came, i thought was hardware problem, sent it to warranty.

Well the funniest part, its been in service centre until Today! Still they can't figure out the problem. So i want to know, is it true that windows 7 cannot support any games at all??

moins plus
when i install xp then no problem but in 1 a half hour computer will be shut down.

senjee- Jan 1, 2010 08:14AM
Plz mention your laptop model
moins plus
I don't think it comes from there... I think it's an electric problem check your fuse !

moins plus
i have acer aspire 4736G... the same problem. my laptop will auto shutdown while i play some game.. like DemiGod, Cabal etc... (game with high graphic quality)... but, it will be ok if i just play solitaire, 3d chess, starcraft, diablo2 etc (old skool games)... today will be the 3rd times i send my laptop to service centre... 1st times, replacing motherboard..., 2nd times, unknown.....3rd times, still waiting... until today... my acer aspire 4736G problem still UNSOLVE.. i wonder how acer do their job... zzz

moins plus
i think its the power spikes from avr..i have same problem playing bfbc2 my rig is new except on my avr and i will try to change it

cw- Jul 5, 2010 04:40PM
same problem, but occurs when i am not even playing games. like every 2 hours or so it just shuts down
moins plus
i have an solution,,try undervolting your lapy using lapy ok alrdy after undervolting it :)

moins plus
i also got the same problem with my acer 4736g..i think this problem is bcoz of the overheatibg of the graphic card,,this happen bcoz the heatsink not functioning..mybe the heatsink not functioning bcoz it broken or the thermal paste dry alrdy,,i think we need to put new thermal paste for the heatsink to functioning

moins plus
same problem with acer, not with laptop though -.-''''

moins plus
i have the same problem too..after searching the solution, I got the picture about this. there is maybe the graphic card is overheating because of the graphic usage in the game. i playing starcraft, warcraft, 3D games and others, my laptop will shutdown after I playing the games for a while. the problem is not the laptop but the game itself.

Metamorphsis 2Posts Friday May 7, 2010Registration date May 7, 2010 Last seen - May 7, 2010 09:50AM
Yah this problem starts only when I play DOTA, my laptop would just shutdown suddenly if I were to stay in the waiting room for a amount of time. I got to alt tab out to wait for the game to get started and everything would be fine when the game is commenced. Weird huh? Solutions needed desperately!!
Nightshade- Aug 27, 2010 06:30AM
thats not the game fault,, the laptop temperature is too high, so the laptop shutdown automatically,

i always monitor my laptop temp. if the temp reach 80 C, it will shut down automatically
This document entitled « automatically shutdown » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.