Black Computer screen during start up

Closed
Sam - May 30, 2010 at 01:00 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 30, 2010 at 01:44 PM
I have a HP laptop with Windows XP, approximately a year old. This morning when I pressed the power button, it made its normal start up noises, but the screen stayed completely black. I tried turning it off and restarting it- same result. There is nothing on the screen, not even a cursor. I tried pressing F1, F2, and F 8 as I started it- no luck. Any ideas would be much appreciated!
thanks, Samantha
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 30, 2010 at 01:18 PM
You can try a "hard restart" - unplug the laptop, remove the battery press and hold in the power button for 30 seconds or more. Replace the battery and plug it back into the wall. Try to start it in the normal way. Sometimes this gets the laptop to work.

If the above didn't work you may have a problem with the "backlight" or the "inverter" that supplies power to the backlight. One way of checking for this problem is to shine a flashlight (torch for English readers) at a sharp angle to the screen. If you see a faint image then the problem is related to the backlight.

Another potential problem area is with the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. With use this cable can fail.

Connecting an external monitor is another way to test for screen related problems.

Good Luck
Hard restart worked. Thanks so much for the quick reply!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 30, 2010 at 01:44 PM
Great - sometimes we get lucky.