Ask a question Report

Can't connect wireless internet [Solved/Closed]

Shon - Latest answer on Jun 30, 2010 03:32PM
Hello,
I have a HP Compad NC 8340, I used to able to connect wireless network from my house, somehow I can't do it anymore, and I went to my uncle house who has wireless network inetnet as well, I can' connnect his network either (I used to able to) but I can connect to inetnet via wire (for my house and my uncle house) on the wireless network (it says connected" but I can't surfing on line. it isay "the page can't be found" any idea? thank you so much!
Read more 
Answer
+60
moins plus
There could be few reasons for this:

1. Check your connection properties, it should be configured to - Obtain an IP address automatically.

2. Check the router's security settings or security key and sync with your laptop.

This should work, if not let me know

acoustictherapy- Feb 4, 2010 08:02PM
Or the right side on an HP Netbook. I've found that if I restart my router (a Netgear), the Netbook usually connects on the second or third try. Other than that, I (a) turn the wireless card off and on, use Start - Run to run "cmd" and then "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew." If none of that works, I restart the Netbook and, so far at least, I've always gotten connected eventually.
Camo happy gardener - Feb 6, 2010 11:00PM
Hey I can't connect either and when I try to turn on the wireless the light stays orange
mch1234- Feb 20, 2010 03:28AM
How do you check your connection properties &the router ?
Thankyou
Grugen- Mar 12, 2010 04:12PM
how do i check my router settings and connection properties?
SassyKatt73- Jun 30, 2010 03:32PM
TipsyTom, Thank you SO much! I have been going freakin nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my son's Compaq mini, I set it to automatically detect IP and it worked!!! Thank you!!!!!!
Answer
+27
moins plus
sounds like you aren't being assigned an IP address, make sure you have DHCP enabled

Answer
+23
moins plus
Hello there. Im running with Windows 7, and i can't seem to connect via wifi.

The problem is that i can't switch on my wifi. I go to Windows Mobility Center, and Wifi stands as "Locked" in off position. Don't know what to do.
i've tried downloading drivers, without any luck tho. Anyone got any idea what to do?.. Perhaps Windows 7 is lacking?

Kay- Apr 9, 2010 05:30AM
did you ever figure it out - I have the same problem.
Shannon- Jun 8, 2010 09:19AM
OMG this worked for me too - WOW - Thanks!!!
taz- Jun 15, 2010 12:14PM
what is the FN key on a copaq presario f500 as my light stays orange also its no longer in my device manager list
taz- Jun 15, 2010 12:16PM
i have same prob on compaq presario f500 with vista i might also have uninstalled it
SpY- Jun 19, 2010 04:37AM
Thank you, It worked!!!!!!

I've been searching and uninstalling all sorts of programs.

But it came down to FN F8

lol

Thanks
Answer
+11
moins plus
hello buddy,

just try one thing. on your internet browser just click on tools and then internet options. under the connection tab click on the lan settings and just check that the automatically detect settings is ticked.

if it doesnt work then repost an add here.

see you

BOB- Jan 3, 2010 09:35AM
i tryed checking the box it dhows my connection then i click connect and wait and still it finishes but im not connected any ideas ????
S- Nov 10, 2008 07:50PM
I still have same problem. on my IP address it say media disconnected. what can I do
ty- Nov 25, 2009 12:56PM
it will not let me click on setting but Im an conected...
Haha You- Mar 18, 2010 06:00PM
its not letting me press okayy for some reason can you tell me whyy?
allan- Jun 19, 2010 12:19AM
i try that before...but still can't connect...any other idea....thanx
Answer
+9
moins plus
well guys I think I found the problem.

You see, when you try to connect to the computer, your computer probably can't detect DNS settings. So what happens here is when your computer trys to connect to a wireless or wired connection, it needs a ip address and a DNS server. Hope people can explore this cause I did.

The following is done on a computer that is connected to your wireless router by wire or wireless. This means it must have a connection to the router to work.

Go to your command prompt. then type in ipconfig /all. It should show some specs. Notice that when you see your Ip address. Write down the following: Ip Address, Default Gateway, and both DNS servers.

After you see these and write them down, go to your Network connections. You should see 1 or more connections. Pick the one that you connect to the internet with. Right click and press property. you should see a list of connections or devices. Pick the one that ends with TCP/pv4 or something like that. Then press propertys.

Now here is where you get your paper. Click Use the following Ip address. Put in the Ip address, submask, and the gateway ip, or default gateway. Your submask should already type in after you put in your ip address.

Finally it is DNS server time. Make sure you put it in correctly, or it will not connect.
Put in the Perfered DNS Server
Then put it Alternate DNS server

Press ok, then close. Wait and you should be connected. Hope this helps.

Answer
+6
moins plus
I got a simple question for you...did you switch on your wifi??

Answer
+6
moins plus
Remove all the old Internet connections from your computer, including the telephone line and cables.

Before inserting the Wireless USB adapter in to the USB port insert the CD that came with it. Do not insert the adapter first.

Follow the instructions on the screen after the CD is installed.

Now insert the Wireless USB adapter into any of the available USB ports. A window will pop up on the screen and will search for the available network connections. If there are many available (sometimes your neighbor's) select your connection and click connect.

Enter the network key, if required. The network key can be obtained from your main hub computer that is connected to your wireless router. Open your network advisor on your hub computer and click on the tab 'Actions' click the link that says 'Add more computers' and follow the instructions on the screen. At the end it will give you a 16 digit number that you will have to write down. This is your network key that you will need to enter in the computer that you are adding to the wireless network.

Answer
+4
moins plus
i just got a wifi network from a friend but its not putting out any wifi.....can anyone help?

Answer
+3
moins plus
I just got an Asus EeePC and I can see my home network and I hooked up to my wireless, I entered my WEP and it said 'connected'.

But my Local Area Connection says it isn't connected.

If I IPconfig in my Cmd Prompt it gives me an IP adress for my wireless adapter but it says that my media is disconnected for my ethernet.

Any idea what is going on?

If I go online it just says that I the page cannot be displayed.

Windows XP
Google Chrome

swordfish- Jul 30, 2009 04:38AM
Switch off your firewall
Answer
+2
moins plus
I have a HP Labtop with Vista. I am having the same problem. The funny thing is that all of my connections are working fine, but the web page says that it can not be displayed. But the funny part is that Yahoo Messanger WORKS!!! But that web page does not. Any help would be nice.

debo- Jan 22, 2010 05:38AM
wat could be the ans
jwadd- Feb 13, 2010 09:45AM
uninstall all the updates from the last month,and my laptops work just fine know,
Nichee x- Mar 20, 2010 09:46AM
Howw du u i do that ?? x
SLAiNTRAX- Mar 26, 2010 01:27PM
Change your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
joe123- Apr 7, 2010 06:36PM
u might be working ofline open the internat and click to tools then work online
Answer
+2
moins plus
I have a same problem with internet.I use BELKIN wireless network.(I use Vista) It connect to wireless but it could not connect to internet. I cannot use the internet for too long now I am using my friend computer to talk to u.u guys plzzz help me :( :( i need to do my School project with computer if not I will die :( plsss

I wish that someone will help me ;)

swordfish- Jul 30, 2009 04:30AM
Switch off your firewall,and set ie to auto detect ur settings and it will work
sweety$pie 8Posts Monday September 21, 2009Registration date September 30, 2009 Last seen - Sep 30, 2009 11:17PM
go to control panel--network and internet--n/w and sharing centre---manage wireless n/ws---remove all wireless n/ws u see there including ur n/w name......then click start--connect to---connect to ur n/w typing proper encryption keys

if it doesn't work call belkin tech support 1800 223 5546
salome- Feb 6, 2010 11:20AM
THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE prOBlem IS VISTA--does NOT recognize the wireless--how to resolve this..........duNNO and am very tired and aggravated from looking all over the place for the solution. ..as soon as i can afford to,this garbage is being removed and either windows 7 or back to XP installed.
another computer crashed,windows xp reinstalled from factory restorATION........XP has a wireless ""wizard"" format--1,2,3 back on--problem IS vista...search all over with google and all you see IS this problem-
micrOsoft should have a simple,easy to follow ANSWER up on their bs website.
(if i'm not speaking in proper computer language exCUUUse me,but i think folk get the point)
william- Jun 1, 2010 02:06PM
actually Salone, I have an XP and a Vista, my XP is having the issue
Pezza- Jun 9, 2010 12:45PM
Same thing happend to me! Got 3 XP laptops and one Vista laptop and the vista stopped working after I updated it !! : S The rest still work !
Answer
+2
moins plus
how do i get my wireless back to its factory settings i have tryed the reset button on the back and i tryed to reset my laptop and others can use it just this laptop has a prob now conecting to it i bet if i buy a new one it will work but i dont want to have to do that thats is the piont ya know

Answer
+2
moins plus
A simple thing, but check in File of your Internet browser and make sure "work offline" is not checked.

Answer
+2
moins plus
I had similar problems. It helped when I DISABLED ethernet (wire) adapter. Wifi immediately started to connect me to Internet. (after enabling ethernet adapter again it continued work allright).

How to disable adapter: double click on network icon on the status bar opens Network connection settings window. Choose the wire connection (usualy named Local Area Connection), rightclick on it and choose disable. (Then rightclick again and choose enable, let the wire work when you plug it in :-)

My problem was however, that when I booted my XP with WiFi on and unpluged, the WiFi worked. When I pluged in network cable it worked well. But when I unpluged etherent Internet stoped working even when WiFi was connected. I had to reboot the machine in order to connect through WiFi (just log off and on did not help). However reading this discussion I had an idea to try to disable wire connection and it worked. Thanx.

P.S does someone an idea how could I set my network and Internet connections so I do not need even disable ethernet in order to make WiFi connect me to the Internet?

to

Answer
+1
moins plus
GGGRRRRR.. i have a belkin router that my toshiba vista windows used to connect to... i havnt tryed a cord.. but it doesnt work on any other wireless.. it connects to the wireless.. but the inter will not work or MSN.. message saying "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".. this has been like this for about a month :(:(..... i have no ides what to do PLZ help... do u have to reformat my PC..????

thnx heaps...

mike- Mar 30, 2009 10:14PM
I had problems with the same configuration (Belkin wireless router while on vacation at a rental home). I found out hkater that Toshiba is not compatible with the model Belkin which I was connected to.
gazza- Apr 2, 2009 04:40AM
hey hey.. thanks heaps...
it used to work with the router.. i took it to a guy and he said he will reformat it for me. hopefully it works.. i hate sharing the desktop lol... thanks anyways XOXO :D:D
Answer
+1
moins plus
I have a Sony Vaio, I was running Vista and was able to connect automatically to the wifi here in my house. I updated to Windows 7 last night and now it won't connect via wifi or ethernet cord. I tried to diagnose the problem it says something about wireless network adapter it makes no sense I've reset my router and I can't do a thing. Worse of all I didn't create a restore point so I can't go back to vista and Windows 7 won't let me use magic disc to boot windows Vista. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me solve this problem I'm going to start pulling my hair out.

danso777- Aug 3, 2009 01:04PM
Another thing that caused issues on my wifi was AVG 8.5 for W7. What version are you running?
Answer
+1
moins plus
i have the same problem but all my application with internet connection can't connect at all-_-"

Answer
+1
moins plus
i had the same problem, I went to control panel. then network and sharing center
-then i clicked on view status
-wireless properties
-then security
I made sure everything was correct
-and typed in my password again ( the one that you set up for your wireless)
and it worked xD!

hope this works for you

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi guys if you have both WIFI and Cable LAN you may have a conflict over where your PC should obtain internet access from. Remove the Default Gateway from your cable LAN, if you have set any but set static IP, and set the WIFI connection to DHCP Enabled. This should help.

Answer
+1
moins plus
I have an HP dv9420ca laptop. I have it dual booting with both vista and xp. The problem I'm having is in xp. For some reason a balloon will pop up saying I have available wireless networks but when I click on it, it never shows any. I know there's about 9 available networks around because my roomate can pick up on them and when I switch over to vista I can too. Does anyone have any suggestions?

pretty p- Jan 11, 2010 08:06PM
k u see i got a toshibia and i dnt have wireless connection so when i click on the button for wireless connection it will bring to things up but it want let me connect but then it say type in a code or something
Tim- Feb 8, 2010 02:00PM
i just got a new computer with windows 7 im trying to connect a windows xp computer to the internet via the one with 7 on it

the only way that i can set up a wireless network is a secure one and my xp it shows that it connected but i cant get on the web and it doesnt work if anyone has any suggestions mail the to my other e-mail at Email Id removed for security

btw i am useing a 1 year old belkin wireless adapter that has been working and before i set up this new network for 7 i would connect my xp to the internet and it would work for a while but then it would cause my internet to crash on the 7 and the xp

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
yaie- Mar 1, 2010 08:20AM
open the properties of the connection and there would be a list. select TCP/IP something, select it's properties and select auto detect on both. It worked for me.
Igot an idea because there was a DNSerror written in the IE tab name.
willaim- Jun 1, 2010 02:11PM
its crazy, I push wireless key, and internet come up with wireless. Means I dont have wires, and light flashes. nice. I have a dell inspirion
1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « can't connect wireless internet » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.