Can't install/download itunes

Solved/Closed
Bosco - Nov 9, 2008 at 09:54 AM
 haliej - Feb 27, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Hello,
I have a new HP 505 Touchsmart running Vista 64 bit. I cannot seem to download and install ITunes 8 from the Apple webpage. It says downloading, but then it sits at 0% for about 40 minuts, and then times out. Any ideas??
Thanks
Related:

45 responses

Han,

if you are still having problems installing iTunes try this solution that I used for a family member having the same error:
go to start>>control panel>>user accounts >>create a new user account that has admin
in the new user account try to install iTunes for all users.

If it installs, log out and go to your usual account, check you have access to iTunes and can use the program, set it to find your music and create the library.
Once your happy its installed and fully working you can delete the spare user account that you made.
Thank you so much for the solution. It worked for me.
i tried to download itunes for 2 hours nd I tried this 2 nd al the other solution in this site but it stil wont work do yu have any other ideas
i need 2 activate my iphone :(
thanks alot that worked for me
Tried everything.... ths works great...

>Click Tools
>Internet Options
>Delete...
>Make sure Temporary internet files, cookies and history boxes are all checked
>Click Delete

Now Download iTunes 8.0
it worked for me.
I have the newest version. Thing is, I've been downloading 60 MB podcasts (Shows), and it only took 8 minutes. All of a sudden, it's taking 30 Minutes. HELP OR REPLY!
everytime I try to download itunes when gets to 68% the download just stop.. someone help me, please!
i installed itunes!
Dec 24, 2009 at 08:57 AM
>Click Tools
>Internet Options
>Delete...
>Make sure Temporary internet files, cookies and history boxes are all checked
>Click Delete

Now Download iTunes 8.0
it worked for me.
This just worked for me - thanks!!
what tools?....where is it?
the tools in firefox or whatever were using
install quick time alternative first, then I tunes installtion will automatically follow

http://ccm.net/download/done/download-370-quicktime-alternative
i download itunes and then it says something about win32 or something like that application cannot be recongised

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i solved mine, go to start,,, run,,,, enter,,regedit.....select (hkey..localmachine)... then select software..lok for apple, and then delet ,,, make sure before u start download to delet all temp internet files..... it worked for me...
everytime I try to download itunes when gets to 68% the download just stop.. someone help me, please!
your lucky, mine stays on 3% and times out
Permalink 888
Apr 6, 2010 at 07:34 AM
Thats exactly what mines is doing. Ive tried to download this for 2 days now and the furthest it gets is 67 per cent then freezes and would remain like that forever if I let it!!
Permalink 888
Apr 9, 2010 at 05:02 AM
Mine was doing the exact same thing. Tried to download it for about a week. Must have tried about 15 times at least!! I tried all sorts of things but finally found something that worked. I downloaded mozilla firefox, then cleared my browsing history, that still didnt work but then I turned off my pop up blocker through tools and internet options on mozilla firefox and then when I tried again it worked straight away.
every time I try to download itunes it seemingly completes the download, but then it says some thing interrupted the download. ive tried over and over again and it takes like 3 hours to compete the doownlad. any ideas?
atleast your not on a limited data plan I have to pay like£10 a gig and it never downloads
i thinkthe site is wacked I dont even get a download screen it says that is been down loaded but is no where to be foiubd
me toooooo
mine says =
do not have permission to access file
-after have downloaded it.
PLEASE HELP ANYONE
hi there I am Tashi.If U have a problem downloading using 64 bit os then install a soft ware to download like download accelerator plus and try downloading its very easy or change the downloading site it may have problems
mabey u r using google chrome. nothing downloads with google chrome try internet explora
I can download it but it wont install... Something about windows installer being incorrectly installed, but I dont know what that is, or how to fix it-HELP
I can't as well get itunes 8 installed although, it downloaded perfectly. I was hoping to get an ipod touch but since I can't download itunes 8 I can't get it. This is very upsetting. I will try to email apple, but in the meantime, if anyone finds a solution please respond back to me.
hi I have had the same problem.did you manage to solve it?.i went up my in laws went on the I tunes site and it downloaded straight away.
**~dIaNa~** > biglee
Dec 26, 2008 at 01:34 PM
I have found a solution and eventually itunes 8 worked. This is what I did but it might not work for everyone else. I had to uninstall any audio profiles (not including quicktime or itunes). Audio profiles include softwares such as skype or AIM. After I uniinstalled Skype, itunes finally downloaded fully. Before you uninstall any files, you should probably back up any important items on an external hard drive or a CD. Hope this helped!! :)

Before you do anything else, you can contact me by replying to my message
Kayla > **~dIaNa~**
Jan 4, 2009 at 04:59 PM
how do you un-install your other apps?
i have aim, and other music apps I believe.
but I dont know how to install them.

also, if you dowload an old version of itunes, will it still have all the new songs and movies?
Diana > Kayla
Jan 5, 2009 at 05:39 PM
This is what I do to unistall an item...(windows vista)
start--> control panel --> Programs --> then you click on an app and say uninstall

I'm not sure why but aim and itunes worked on my old computer (windows 2000) but not on my computer with vista on it.

Before you install an earlier version I would copy all your media and stuff from itunes and put it all in a personal folder just to make sure that you have a backup. Although, if you ever install later versions of itunes your items are safe.
my itunes wont down load I downloaded the new version of itunes and it said something about downloading a mobile thingy am not sure so I erased my itunes and quicktime just stayed on there I try to download itunes and it downloads and everything but than at the very end it was error try downloading again (i been trying to do this for 2 weeks now and it still says the same thing and am not sure what to do any more can you please help me thanks
Use a different web browser, I downloaded firefox and was able to download itunes with no trouble via that browser
IT Seems I cannot down load and install music and moves from my PC even though I have the access of broadband. How can you help
Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290301
and download the tool and remove all your Itunes apps includin Bonjour and Quicktime.

Then reinstall the itunes 8.2
kp
nothing is working for me I have an ipod nano and nothing is working I tried about everything and im getting really pissed off can someone help me????
i have the same problem as well I will tell you if I find out
please... thanks
did you ever figure out how to make itunes work its driving me crazy
dude I want you to ask them to go to olapps.com and write itunes, or buy a laptop called windows*98.
Guys, I found this on the Apple Website and my iTunes Download has Worked, may be the same for you, good luck.

1. Empty your Temp directory and restart

Choose Start > My Computer/Computer (or double-click My Computer on the Desktop).
In My Computer/Computer, open Local Disk C:.
Windows XP and Windows 2000: Open Documents and Settings.
Windows Vista: Open Users.
Double-click the folder that bears your username.
Windows Vista only: If you see an AppData folder, double-click it and skip to step 12. If you don't see an AppData folder, skip to step 9.
Windows XP only: If you see a Local Settings folder, skip to step 12. If you don't see a Local Settings folder, proceed to the next step.
Windows XP and Windows 2000: Choose Tools > Folder Options.
Windows Vista: Choose Organize > Folder and Search Options.
Select the "Show hidden files and folders" button.
Click OK.
Double-click Local Settings or Local folder (If on Windows Vista, you must first double-click the AppData folder). If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
Right-click on the Temp folder and on the shortcut menu, choose Delete.
In the confirmation dialog that appears, click Yes.
If you are unable to delete the Temp folder, close all programs, especially those in the Notification area (system tray) of the Windows Task bar shown below and repeat step 10.
Restart your computer.
2. Completely remove iTunes and QuickTime

For Windows XP, follow instructions in Remove and Reinstall iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP.

For Windows Vista, follow instructions in Remove and Reinstall iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista.

Note: Songs you purchased from the iTunes Store or imported from CDs are saved in your My Music folder by default and are not deleted by removing iTunes.

3. Clean up iTunes installer files on the computer

You can download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft, which will clean up any leftover installer files that may be causing issues with your current installation. To do this:

Click here first, and read the important information about the software.
Click the "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now" link on that page to download a file titled msicuu2.exe.
Open the msicuu2.exe file and follow the prompts to install it.
Choose Start > All Programs and then click Windows Install Cleanup; the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility window appears, listing software that is currently installed on your computer.
Select iTunes from the list and click Remove.
Click OK in the confirmation dialog that appears.
Repeat steps 5 and 6 if you have multiple iTunes entries listed.
Select QuickTime from the list and click Remove.
Click OK in the confirmation dialog that appears.
Repeat steps 8 and 9 if you have multiple QuickTime entries listed.
Click Exit.
Restart the computer.
4. Install the latest version of iTunes
disappointed one > Sami
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM
if that long process did eventually work for you, could you please let us know how to go about the same with windows 7? its just too bad that itunes has to have so much problem with windows..can't they just somehow resolve it? so much for customer care x__x
my itunes does not open it says downloading then run applictation and then it says that itunes was not download properly
what to do?
man ive been trying forever to fix it but its not working
hey...im glad im not the only one with this problem.I thought it was my computer.when I go to the apple website to try to download it.it wont let me.it only lets me choose it for windows 2000.and when I download that it give me itunes 7.3.i just bought a new ipod and version 7.3 wont work for it.so please someone find an answer because this sucks!
lovesthoselabs > robin
Dec 31, 2008 at 01:21 PM
I have been trying for days to install itunes. Apple won't help me because my ipod is out of warranty, even though I explained I am not having a problem with my iPod, but the SOFTWARE. I have deleted all apple files, emptied the recycle bin, uninstalled mcafee, updated windows, downloaded itunes again and it still has not installed. The error I am getting now is insufficient priveliges...so, I reloaded mcafee and haven't a clue what to try next. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
According to the experts, go into explorer, delete your cookies, your history, and your temp. files. It'll load after you do that. I promise.
Permalink 888
Apr 7, 2010 at 04:06 AM
Tried that. Didnt work
Go to apple's website. Click on the download tab. Choose to download just the Quicktime application. Follow that through to installation. Next go back to the apple site and click on download tab again, download itunes 8. ONce this is done make sure to run the download so it installs. After all is said and done itunes should open up for you. I think that apple mistakingly forgot to couple the quicktime application with the new version of apple's itunes when they put the new service update out. I hope that it works for you.

Elliot
Please help. Yesterday I was finally able to download 8.2. It took days. I don't even know how I managed. Today I went to open ITUNES and guess what GONE!!! Now I can't download it again. I am at my complete wits end. It says it downloaded, but it doesn't. Please help!!
ok, so each time I open up itunes, or quicktime(i did what u said) a box pops up saying itunes(or quicktime) has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. ive downloaded. uninstalled, reinstalled, and nothing works. please help! I JUST GOT A NANO FOR xmas, and I want music on it! please help, someone! oh, this has happened a million times, so please hurry.
that happend to me in a differnt way. you should get a newer vierson of itunes that mite help.(googles always ur friend)
Evil Wolf Girl
May 1, 2010 at 01:59 AM
Try dowlaoding quicktime first. Mayne that would help! =)