Ask a question Report

WD external hard drive is unknown USB, Fix? [Solved]

Hypon Grey - Latest answer on Sep 1, 2010 02:25PM
I recently used my WD external hard drive (640 gig for those who want to know) on a computer with Windows7. I recently had to re-install WindowsXP on my home computer due to a cousin reformatting my hard drive. Now for the crux, my external is only listed as an unknown usb device. It is not a "assign it a drive letter" problem because it does not even show up in disk manager. it is not a "delete 1384" problem either because i never had it in the first place, it not listed on my connections. Please help if you can.
Read more 

moins plus

I also have this problem.
i have a 320GB WD external disk with all of my backup on it.
it shows up as "unknown USB device" and doesn't get a drive letter assigned. i cannot find it in administrative tasks either.

Any ideas?
The information on this disk is vital for me.
Add comment
moins plus

I found a solution to my problem. don't know if it would work for you.
i had a WD passport drive that showed up as unknown USB device, no driveletter and no data recovery software helped either.

as a last attempt i ripped the drive out of the casing and mounted it in a case that i bought at almost no cost, plugged the thing to my computer and it worked. no problems at all.. :-)

i am currently backing up my information to my harddrive JIC.
Add comment
This document entitled « WD external hard drive is unknown USB, Fix? » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.