Ask a question Report

WD external hard drive is unknown USB, Fix? [Solved]

Hypon Grey - Latest answer on Sep 1, 2010 02:25PM
Hello,
I recently used my WD external hard drive (640 gig for those who want to know) on a computer with Windows7. I recently had to re-install WindowsXP on my home computer due to a cousin reformatting my hard drive. Now for the crux, my external is only listed as an unknown usb device. It is not a "assign it a drive letter" problem because it does not even show up in disk manager. it is not a "delete 1384" problem either because i never had it in the first place, it not listed on my connections. Please help if you can.
Read more 
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi,

I also have this problem.
i have a 320GB WD external disk with all of my backup on it.
it shows up as "unknown USB device" and doesn't get a drive letter assigned. i cannot find it in administrative tasks either.

Any ideas?
The information on this disk is vital for me.
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hey,

I found a solution to my problem. don't know if it would work for you.
i had a WD passport drive that showed up as unknown USB device, no driveletter and no data recovery software helped either.

as a last attempt i ripped the drive out of the casing and mounted it in a case that i bought at almost no cost, plugged the thing to my computer and it worked. no problems at all.. :-)

i am currently backing up my information to my harddrive JIC.
Add comment
This document entitled « WD external hard drive is unknown USB, Fix? » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.