Dell Inspiron laptop will not start up

Solved/Closed
tingxuan - Updated on Jan 28, 2018 at 09:43 AM
 Ogsmiles10 - Feb 27, 2018 at 03:32 AM
Hello, recently I have just switched the hard disk of one of my inspiron laptop to another laptop, also an inspiron. However, I have encounter some problem.

"When you press the power button, If your laptop powers on, the lcd panel is pitch black blank screen, not even back light power, no dell startup screen, you hear the fan spin up, you hear the hard disk spin up, in this state one of the 3 LED lights blinks for 7 seconds (I think numeric keypad), and then if everything switches off silent. The only LED on after that would perhaps be the battery charging indicator. it could be a memory DIMM gone bad, If you have two dimms try one, then the other to confirm"

That is the description of the problem. When I go online, they suggest that my memory DIMM might be spoilt. May I ask, How then can I solve this problem? Is it a hardware problem whereby parts of the laptop needed to be changed or?

Thank you for your reply.

25 responses

leatherneck1971
Jun 7, 2009 at 09:42 AM
I had this issue, did some research on internet, did not find fix that I discovered for me, might not work for everyone, but could hear the startup sounds, as a normal startup but screen remained blank/black and the power buttons seemed to go into hibernate mode, so shut it down manually with off button, removed the battery and turned it on and discovered it came on normally every time, tested several startups, went into power settings on lap top set all to "never", put batter back in and it boots up normally and screen comes on normal now. Accidental discovery no guarantee it will work for everyone but it worked for me!Still need a solution for this problem?
Thanks Leatherneck!
Dell C800, removing the battery and restarting it with power supply
only definitely works. I tried all the standby and hibernate options and
they had no effect so I think they are not part of the problem,

When you have a no POST its always a good idea to start with the
the memory chips.

To eliminate a display problem, connect an external monitor.

Listen closely to the harddrive. You dont need it to POST to a
bios, but it will indicate whether it is a power supply or motherboard
problem
jonny vincent
Apr 22, 2011 at 05:33 AM
Amazing. Thanks Leatherneck! I tried your solution almost feeling foolish at myself for trying it, now I feel foolish at myself for feeling foolish.

Thanks dude!