Windows Won't Boot With a Second Hard Drive

Solved/Closed
tietherope Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 9, 2010 - Jun 8, 2010 at 08:39 AM
tietherope Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 9, 2010 - Jun 9, 2010 at 07:43 AM
Hello,

I currently have a 640GB Western Digital Black hard drive running in my computer. This drive has Windows 7 and currently all my programs on it. Yesterday I installed a 1TB Western Digital Black drive that I was previously using as an external drive, however when I try to boot up my computer I just get a back screen with an error message I can't recall at the moment. My computer will boot no problem if I disconnect the disc. In my BIOS it will show both discs and I have them both enabled and have set their boot configuration with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jun 8, 2010 at 06:00 PM
What drive information is displayed in the BIOS? This sounds like the new drive is higher in the boot order than the OLD drive with Windows. Changing the boot order to make the BIOS try to boot from the corredct (OLD) dive should fix the problem.

Good Luck
tietherope Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 9, 2010
Jun 9, 2010 at 07:43 AM
Thanks for your input. After work I gave it another go and I'm pretty sure I out the drives in the same order. The only thing I changed was for it to boot the DVD drive before the proper drive with Windows and all works well now.

Thanks again!