Modem/computer not connecting to Internet

Closed
Derek - Nov 19, 2008 at 09:23 AM
 yanno - Dec 13, 2008 at 02:32 PM
Hello,

I bought a new router to replace the one I have now (my current one is old and not XBox Live compatible), and I wanted to set the new one up last night. When setting up the new router, the wizard says my computer must be connected to the Internet through a wire, not wirelessly. Here's where I ran into the problem. When my computer is connected wirelessly to the old router, it connects to the Internet just fine, but if I try to connect a wire from the router to the computer, or even bypass the router and connect directly from the modem to the computer, it won't connect to the Internet anymore. The computer shows the local area connection is connected and says the device is working properly. I just don't get why it can connect fine through the router and wirelessly, but not any way else. I've tried all the Ethernet cables I have (3). I know they can't be all bad.

Thanks,

Derek

1 response

hi, click on start-> run-> type in cmd -> and in the black window, type in ipconfig /all. This will give you the ip adresses associated with your router. If it sais 0.0.0.0 with the wired connection, then your router is not configured and you have no connection. Maybe you are strealing someones elses connection. Try assigning ip addresses manually under lan connection. Check with your isp to see what the ip adress is. Also make sure DNS is enabled in the black window. To set ip adress manually, right click on lan connection-> properties-> and select tcp/ip and click on properties, then select use the folliwing ip addresses -> that would depend on your ips providor of what leased lines they gave you and type in the dns ip which should be the same as your host ip address, then click on advanced and make sure dns is enabled and hit ok.

Also ping the mac address by typing ping 127.0.0.1 orassuming you have ip addresses in the black window, ping the ip adress for the host and default gateway. There should be 4 replies 100%. If the packets are loss during transmission,, then try another computer on the network (assuming you have one) and try to connect with the wire.

Another possiblty is to try another cable or check the modem and router too see if there is any lights (steady green), try rebooting the devices , modem first than router.
Also by default, new routers all have open ports, such as http, smtp, tcp/ip etc , maybe you'll want to check inside the router by typing in http and the ip address of the default gateway of the router. Check the setting in the router.

Also check device manager and make sure there is no question mark on there, maybe the modem needs to be upgraded or the nic card.

Also, maybe just maybe there may be an ip address conflict between the wirless connection and the wired connection, because 2 different computers have 2 diferent ip addresses so when you set up the connection, your ips provides you with a pool of ip addresses so you may have to set in manually to a different ip -> for example assuming your ip is for wireless is 190.0.0.1, and your wired comp is the same, you'll have to change it to 190.0.0.2, so possibly, the network is pointed to the wireless connection rather than the wired conection.

anyways hope this helps