All drives are not open by double click & win

Solved/Closed
raj - Nov 20, 2008 at 05:53 AM
 PaSTie - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Hello,
My PC having four drive & it is not opening with double click & showing open with programm,even same error is showing when opening with explore.OS is XP.

Regards
Rajesh
Related:

22 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 20, 2008 at 01:10 PM
Virus trouble

Sometimes it happens in windows XP that you are not able to open drives on your hard disk. When you double click on the drives icons or right click on the drive>>explore in My computer ,the drive does not open.

This problem is generally caused by most of the viruses which infect windows XP system. They block or restrict your access to any of the drives.

But don't worry this is not a big trouble it can be fixed easily.

Fix:

Normally when a virus infects a windows system which causes a drive opening problem, it automatically creates a file named autorun.inf in the root directory of each drive.

This autorun.inf file is a read only ,hidden and a system file and the folder option is also disabled by the virus. This is deliberately done by the virus in order to protect itself. autorun.inf initiates all the activities that the virus performs when you try to open any drive.

You have to just delete this file and restart your system to correct this problem.

Follow the set of commands below to show and delete the autorun.inf

1. Open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps.

2. type cd\

3. type attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf

4. type del autorun.inf

5. now type d: and press enter for d: drive partition. Now repeat steps 3 and 4. Similarly repeat step 5 for all your hard disk partition.

Restart your system and your trouble will be fixed.
I have a problem typing in your "attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf " command...it isn't recognizing it...how exactly should it look like? am I suppose to out a space betwen the - and r, h, s,? between attrib and -? don't know why it isn't taking it.
gautamchoudhary20
Jan 13, 2009 at 06:20 AM
Thanks for this
I have just tried this technique and my problem is solved, I am suffer this problem from last to month
once again thank you very very much
kamlaknth > dicetown
Jan 17, 2009 at 03:37 AM
Not getting open any of the hard drives with double click.When double clicked, a pop up message says 'C:\:recycled/boot.com is not a win32 application' or F:\Access is denied. But all can be opened with rightclick & open or explore. What to do?
Thank you very much. I have used the steps told by you and my problem is solved.
Your super Rockeagle

XPCMAN

YOU Solve my problem lot

Thank you Thank you Very much
shariqDON Posts 10 Registration date Friday January 30, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2009 1
Feb 1, 2009 at 03:07 AM
Very simple . virus create some bad registry if you want to solve this problem then delet this registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

delete all drive from here
hey dude,
we dont have to delete the drives here but delete the mountpoints2 itself, then only it will work.
I want to thank you for this superb read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.
I have bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.
http://www.oaktree.com.au
I want to thank you for this superb read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.
I have bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.
https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=electricians4u&e=com
thanks you sooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
thanks problemssolved my
Hello,
My PC having four drive & it is not opening with double click & showing open with programm,even same error is showing when opening with explore.OS is XP.
Hi everyone, I have the same problem when I open My Computer then double click one of my drives (c or d) it opens up an image program (ACDseePro) instead of expolring it, I have to right-click then open or explore.
I have tried the command prompt ( autorun.info) but file was not found in any of the drives , I also tried gpedit.msc and enabled autoplay but it didn't work. Used Spybot serach&destroy, Flash-Disinfect, Disc-Heal, Fix-Drive and did a virus scan with NOD32 but nothing was found and the problem still persists!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please advice

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi,
Super. nice trick. thank you
hi buddy thanx very-very -very much its working 100% without any problem. it save my importnat data to open
thanx once again itz a very good fix. awesome.thanx
still not working .... please provide me a better opinion about this severe problem which I am facing....
sir ur a genius thanks
Thanks a lot sir, it worked.
Mike Belly
http://ww11.losebellyfat101.org/
yes yes yes haha
http://www.gisliterran.com
Thanks for the info and solution that you have shared...
keep it up, more power and knowledge...
Thanks it work fixall ,all others mention in this replies, didnt work for me.
Thankyou boss my problem is now resolve
thanks it worked for me! ^^
Insurancemaster
Apr 29, 2010 at 07:29 AM
this is something that I should have found a couple of months ago.anyways thank for such a wonderful post.
What a great article.. complete with the + and - . Yup.. it's very useful. Thanks
http://www.myinsurancemaster.com
thanks allot
Thank you so much for guide me
Thanks alot Pal from all the way in Jamaica! Jah Guide...
I m unable to open my drives with double click on it nd its giving the msg open with.....
i tried the autorun delete option also but I typed attrib-r-h-s autorun.inf but it is not reconizing it . heilp me
Mantosh Singh
Jun 21, 2010 at 04:27 AM
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
OR
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell none
Dear Sir
i tried your solution and it worked and I just want to thank you........
thank you very very much and God Bless U...................................
I have a simuliar problem, but can't type the command attrib -r-h-s autorun.inf ..my computer doesn't recogize it, I tried various other ways in format it, no luck. I have windows xop any ideas?
after typing -r give one space then repeat the same for -h and -s , mean give one space between all
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM
First you type cmd and enter

Then type

attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf without a space between the minus sign and the following letter but a space before the minus sign - this makes the file visible and allows you to delete it later. If DOS returns "file not found" it means the autorun.inf file is not on that hard disk.
I can open only c drive & not D,E or F.
Typing attrib -r -h -s shows Access denied. Can u tell me why?
Frozen > Pankaj
Jan 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM
Pankaj -

IF u look at u r command prompt [cmd] , it ll be like C:\ >

It means tat u r in C drive !! u did tat autorun.inf function for tat alone !!

So after finishing for C drive !!

TYPE : [ DRIVE NAME : press enter]

For Example : It it E means !! E: press enter

Now repeat ta steps !!

Your problem Solved !! :)
M@veriCk > Frozen
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Thanx dude....
Thanx dude........
this trick has solved my problem.
abhijeet > Frozen
Nov 23, 2009 at 08:39 AM
dude u r great it solve my problem too
hard disk drive is not open
Virus trouble

Sometimes it happens in windows XP that you are not able to open drives on your hard disk. When you double click on the drives icons or right click on the drive>>explore in My computer ,the drive does not open.

This problem is generally caused by most of the viruses which infect windows XP system. They block or restrict your access to any of the drives.

But don't worry this is not a big trouble it can be fixed easily.

Fix:

Normally when a virus infects a windows system which causes a drive opening problem, it automatically creates a file named autorun.inf in the root directory of each drive.

This autorun.inf file is a read only ,hidden and a system file and the folder option is also disabled by the virus. This is deliberately done by the virus in order to protect itself. autorun.inf initiates all the activities that the virus performs when you try to open any drive.

You have to just delete this file and restart your system to correct this problem.

Follow the set of commands below to show and delete the autorun.inf

1. Open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps.

2. type cd\

3. type attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf

4. type del autorun.inf

5. now type d: and press enter for d: drive partition. Now repeat steps 3 and 4. Similarly repeat step 5 for all your hard disk partition.

Restart your system and your trouble will be fixed.
I use win xp pro. I had an autorun virus which blocked opening of the drives. I ran the program flash disinfector and the virus problem was solved. but from my dvd drives, no cd/dvd starts on its own unless click the dvd-drive icon. how can I get back the 'autorun'? I changed shell detection using gpedit.msc, enabled autorun from properties..nothing works. Can anybody help?
nagraj > muke
Feb 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM
hai this is nag. iam suffering from this problem since a month. n finally solved my problem. thanx a lot yar.
PERFECT SOLUTION It magically worked for me

Pradyot