Windows 7

Closed
gobi - Jun 14, 2010 at 01:32 AM
 Hatem - Nov 5, 2010 at 05:41 PM
i am using sony laptop it has preloaded os of windows 7 it has only c drive but i need to

use more drive how to crate a partition in that tell me please
Related:

3 responses

kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 14, 2010 at 02:50 AM
Windows 7 has the option to resize, this means you can shrink or extend partitions. The Disk Management in built utility is able to do the job of shrinking and expanding partitions and it does not require any 3rd party utilities. To manage your partitions, open Control Panel and type "partitions" or "hard disk" in the search bar on the right corner and you can see the link "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" under administrative tools.
This will open up the disk management utility for Windows 7
To shrink any volume, right click on the desired volume and select the option "Shrink Volume". This will open up the Shrink Volume window and you need to specify the amount of space you want to shrink.
If you want to extend any volume in Windows 7, right click on the drive to be extended and select "Extend Volume". In the next step you need to specify the amount of space by which you want to extend the volume.
Please note that extend volume for any drive will work only if there is continuous free space available on your hard disk.

For more information visit http://windows7.iyogi.net/support/windows-7-support
I have HP Laptop with 640 GB hard disk with Windows 7 64 bit installed.

I used the Disk Management and reduced the C drive partition size, then I used New Simple Volume command to create a new drive in the new Unallocated partition and assigned the new drive letter as G as the system already have D, E & F for the recovery and DVD drives.

After assigning the maximum available space and all other parameters, the system gives an error (There is no enough space available on the Disks to complete this operation)

Did I do any thing wrong?

Hatem
Blocked Profile
Jun 14, 2010 at 01:57 AM
1. You will first need to shrink a partition or volume from the free space on a disk to create unallocated space on that disk to use to create the new partition or volume with on the same disk.

2. Open the Control Panel (All Items view), and click on the Administrative Tools icon. then close the Control Panel window.

3. Click on Computer Management in Administrative Tools, then close the Administrative Tools window.

4. In the left pane under Storage, click on Disk Management.

5. In the middle pane, right click on the empty unallocated partition or volume and click on New Simple Volume.

6. Click on the Next button.

7. Type in how many MB (1 GB = 1024 MB) you want to use from the unallocated partition to create the new partition with, then click on the Next button.
NOTE: If you want to use all of the unallocated partition to create the new partition with, then type all of the maximum disk space shown for the unallocated partition. If you do not use all of the maximum disk space, then you can use the left over space from the unallocted partition to create another new partition with.

8. Select an available drive letter that you want to be assigned to the new partition in Computer, then click on the Next button.

9. Type in a volume label name that you want for the new partition, check the Perform a quick format box, and click on the Next button.

10. Click on the Finish button.

11. The new primary partition or volume has now been created with the assigned unallocted partition space (step 7).

12. Close the Computer Management window.