XP Pro and XP Home can't file share

Solved/Closed
Old-Croc Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010 - Jun 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Old-Croc Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010 - Jun 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Hello,
I have a wireless network with 2 PC's; an XP Home and an XP Pro. The Home PC can see the Pro PC and the shares, folders and printer. I can't access any of them across the network, shared folders or print. On the Home PC the Network Map in McAfee shows both PC's, wireless printer and router. On the Pro PC, I can't see the shared folders on the Home PC and the Network Map in McAfee shows the same as the other PC. When I try to view computers in my workgroup on the Pro PC I only see myself. I have run several test and checked lots of settings with no results. This is my second posting of this problem - the first was WAY too long.

Related:

2 responses

Old-Croc Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010
Jun 22, 2010 at 01:42 PM
I took both PC's down to safe-mode w/networking. All file share worked fine. No problems. Brought PC's back to normal one at a time. XP Home PC can see all file shares but can't access XP Pro shares. XP Pro can see all file shares and can access all file shares. Only when I put the XP Pro PC back to safe-mode w/networking does everything work fine. Suspected McAfee so I stripped it but that didn't solve anything. Put McAfee back on so PC could be used today (This is an active office.) Not sure what to do next. Should I start stopping processes on the XP Pro PC until I find the one that is causing file share to fail? Is that even possible to do without crashing?
Old-Croc Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM
OK, I finally fixed my problem. These are the steps I took. Removed unused protocols of IPX/SPX and TCP/IPv6. Reset the Winsock using the command - netsh winsock reset - and rebooted. During reboot, entered setup (used to be BIOS setup), and disabled the onboard LAN adapter. Had partial functionality but the network connection started having problems. Disabled the wireless network adapter. Uninstalled the Linksys software through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Turned off the computer. Removed the wireless adapter. Booted machine and re-installed Linksys software following the normal installation instructions. When prompted, turned off machine and re-installed wireless adapter. Rebooted and had all functionality. Noticed, post-op, that there was now another wireless network available in my area that was on the same channel as I was so I went into the router and changed the channel from 6 to 1 (11 was already in use too). I have had no other problems. There was a link I used to find out A LOT of information on what to do it is: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm I also took the time and read through a lot of Microsoft kb article threads.