Ask a question Report

Files on flash drive changed to shortcuts [Solved/Closed]

Amber - Latest answer on Oct 20, 2012 10:25AM
Hello,
I caught a virus on my flash drive at work and it appears to have changed all my file names to short cuts. I believe I've cleaned the virus but how do i get my files back so that I can view them?
Read more 
Answer
+522
moins plus
Hello,

If you did not format your flash drive, then check whether the files are not in

hidden mode.

Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your pendrive as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

Note : Replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.

MILIND- Jul 20, 2010 01:19AM
IT WORKED
MILIND- Jul 20, 2010 01:19AM
THANKS JACK.......... U R GREAT
Tumi- Jul 20, 2010 03:26PM
Thank a million Jack, You are a "STAR". so, do i need to delete all the shortcuts then?
Tumi- Jul 20, 2010 03:27PM
Thanks it does work 100%
shah g- Oct 20, 2012 10:25AM
100 % worked thanks
Answer
+54
moins plus
In addition to steps suggested by jack4rall you need to del the files that get listed after

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

del g:\ [file name]

sometimes you get a message " Process completed , file sharig violation" while trying to delete a file.

In that case you can install a software called "Who lock me?" (search in the google) and install the same.

You can kill the process and delete the file. Make sure to create a folder in the file name you have deleted so that the virus may not be able to creep into the drive once again.

nanda- Jul 20, 2010 06:58AM
still aim not access the folders
Answer
+33
moins plus
Hello, I'm not trying to interfere with your conversation, but I have the same problem. I did do a full scan on the drive with Superantispyware on the external drive and it deleted all the shortcuts that were on the external drive (assuming that it thought the shortcuts were viruses). I do have another external drive that is infected and was wondering if there is any other way to fix it. I usually have no problem fixing these viruses but this one has been a headache from hell. Thanks for any help or advice. JB

Ambucias 22645Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus August 30, 2015 Last seen - Jul 16, 2010 05:37PM
Hello jblethal
Your courtesy is admirable, I wish more users were like you.
Best regards
Fogz- Jul 18, 2010 10:23PM
Superb...
This document entitled « files on flash drive changed to shortcuts » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.