Only 1 laptop can connect to wireless router

Closed
Erin - Dec 3, 2008 at 08:57 PM
 Confused - Jan 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM
Hello,

I have an internet connection through our cable. We have a Netgear wireless router and two laptops. Both laptops can connect to the Internet wirelessly, but not at the same time. When I try to connect with the second computer I have to turn the connected laptop off, then unplug my router and restart the computer I want to connent to get online. I can see the connection with both computers but one will always show limited or no connectivity until I unplug the other and restart everything

I was told it may be because each computer has to require a new IP everytime it connects and also that sending a ping might work. Do I need to set up a network?

Any help would be appreciated. I've been reading other people's problems on this site but none of them seem to fit with what's going on with my connection.

Thanks
Related:

3 responses

Erin,
are the laptops and the router set up for DHCP?
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Make sure your router and laptops are configured for DHCP. Refer to your router's manual.
I have two laptops that connect fine, but I cannot get the third to connect. It says limited or NO connectivity, when I do the troubleshooting thing it says that the server cannot change my IP Address. When I manually assign the ip address and default gateway as my router it says connected very fast, but still no internet.