IE won't connect to Internet unless AOL is on

Solved/Closed
Zeke - Dec 5, 2008 at 03:15 PM
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 - Dec 8, 2008 at 03:03 PM
Hello,

Background: I have three computers networked to a cable modem for shared internet access. All three computers run Windows XP Home Edition. This setup has worked fine for years and we could routinely access the interet via AOL, Interet Exporer (v 7) or both at the same time. Several days ago, however, I discovered that I could not access the internet on either client computer with Internet Explorer UNLESS I was connected and signed on to AOL. (The main host computer is just fine).

Thinking that my IE files might have been corrupted I reset them to their orginal state. That did not work. So I downloaded a fresh version of Firefox and installed it. Same problem. Could not connect to the Internet on either client with Firefox alone. But was successful using Firefox only after connecting and signing in to AOL.

My Network Diagnosis program points me to network adaptor problems but that doesn't seem to make sense as I do get internet connectivity provided AOL is turned on, connected and signed on (AOL is included in my startup files).

The only other thing I can think of is firewall/anti-virus related. I had recently made some changes on all three machines when AOL/MacAffee anti-virus sent me messages about upgrades and that my computer was not fully protected. However, I disconnected my MacAffee and Firewalls and that did not help. Maybe I should REMOVE these programs and all my anti-spywares. Or maybe I have a virus but I have run MacAffee, Ad-Aware, Spybot Searach and Destroy and SpySweeper and found no problems.

I am very leary of removing AOL as it seems to be the only program functioning properly. And if I l can't take the chance of losing totatl internet access.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Zeke

2 responses

try opera
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the help. However, I tried it and installed Opera but had the same problem as before.

Opera on its own would not connect to the internet but worked fine when AOL was connected and signed on. This is the same problem I've been having with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45 > Zeke
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Please run Command prompt (Start->Run and enter "ping microsoft.com")
Zeke > GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008
Dec 6, 2008 at 02:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and help.

When I tried pinging microsoft.com I got a result that the "request was timed out". I appears to have tried four times without success.

What does that mean? Does this sound more like a network or router issue than a virus?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Zeke
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 7, 2008 at 05:05 AM
Actually, your network seems to be working ok. You can check it through Start>Run>"ping ping.com" this will give you "Reply from 74.205.62.55: bytes...." and this will testify that your modem is connected to ISP, ISP provides access to the Internet and the router shares this connection to the PC where you try to ping.

Seems you are having firewall problem. What kind of firewall do/did you use?

Try Start->Connect to->Show all network connections and right click on "Local area network" to bring "Properties". Then un-check everything except for "TCP/IP protocol", "Files and printers sharing" and "Client for microsoft networks". If you don't have anything else except for the above, then it is ok, go to "Advanced" tab and un-check "Firewall", press "Ok" and restart your PC
Thank you so much!

My problem is solved.

You got me on the right track. I think I had multiple problems; first with Windows Firewalls and then with MacAffee virus protection I get with AOL. Tinkered with both my client PCs and the master. Made sure that Internet Explorer was an exception to the firewalls. Re-established my network with the Network Wizard and made several tweaks deep into MacAffee's firewall provisions. Took several steps. Could see MacAffee portray a graphic of my network and gradually I saw each leg change from "disconnected" to "connected".

I had been pretty deliberate and controlled with my earlier efforts to fix this problem. Out of frustration I kind of "threw the kitchen sink" at it once your advice made me concentrate on the firewall again. (Several nights ago an AOL rep on the phone had instructed me to disconnect all firewalls. I did that but the problem was not fixed so that realy threw me off and got me on the wrong track - thinking it was a virus).

Things are working OK now and I am leary to change anything else but I am tempted to just get rid of MacAffee altogether and going with a different and less complicated anti-virus program.

Thanks again!!!

Zeke
My problem was solved. Thanks to everyone who contacted me with their suggestions and advice.

One last request. Can someonetell me how to report this problem as resolved so I do not take up more of anyone's time?

Thanks,

Zeke
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491 > Zeke
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM
Hello,
You can't because you aren't a kioskea member so I do it.
But next time, you should use the yellow alert button /!\ and ask for or you can also become a kioskea member by subscribing
Best regards
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45 > Zeke
Dec 8, 2008 at 03:03 PM
good news)