Desktop icons, taskbar disappear

Closed
rweiss2 - Dec 6, 2008 at 05:14 PM
 rweiss2 - Dec 6, 2008 at 09:37 PM
Hello,

I was surfing on Firefox, on Windows XP, with WinPatrol running. Anyway, WinPatrol tells me that several files, in succession, want to be new Startup programs. As I never asked for them, I refuse them all. For one of them, however, WinPatrol tells me that unless I know for sure it is causing problems I shouldn't get rid of it, as it is in a sensitive location. So I neither get rid of it, or accept it. It keeps reasserting itself, so I decide to get rid of it. (I don't know what it is.) While this is all happening, popup windows telling me about viruses, and how I should download antiviruses and when I close the windows they open again, etc. and then the desktop just disappears! No icons, no taskbar.

So, naturally I restart it. Problem persists. I run Symantec, it finds some viruses, suggests I reboot, but problem persists.

If I CTRL+ALT+DEL, I can NEW TASK EXPLORER, and it will briefly reappear for a few seconds, long enough for me to access the computer. (All my stuff seems to be in tact.) Then it will disappear. When I ran Symantec, during the duration of the scan, the desktop and taskbar would reappear and disappear in fits and starts. When Symantec finished, desktop disappeared.

Any advice? Thanks for your time. (Oh, by the way, I'm not really computer literate, so assume I'm dumb.) I'd appreciate any help.
Related:

1 response

Ok, hi again,

On the advice of a friend, I managed to access Control Panel through the New Task function of the Task Manager, C:\WINDOWS\system32\control.exe

This brings up Control Panel and Explorer, which then stays up, even after closing Control Panel. So that's fine.
But then I restarted my Computer, and everything seems to start up fine, but then the desktop disappears.

Then, concurrently, WinPatrol brings to my attention the programs that started it all

C:\WINDOWS\system32\iifdaYrP.dll

which WinPatrol counsels it is in a key location of my computer's operating system.

Also,

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nsk.dll

This time, I rejected them unequivocally.

They keep coming back, and I keep rejecting them.

I Control Panel'ed again, so Explorer is back for forseeable future, but I haven't licked this yet. Anybody know what is up?

Thanks again.
OK,

iifda.YrP.dll seems to be real problem. Apparently, this is disguising itself as an IE Helper. Removing it on WinPatrol does nothing. Delete file upon reboot does nothing. Finding the file and deleting it won't work - it keeps on telling me that another person or program is using it, but what I can't fathom. Sigh. Wit's end here. It just won't stop.

Any ideas? Thanks.
rweiss2 > rweiss2
Dec 6, 2008 at 09:37 PM
It's also a Startup Program, although now I've disabled it.