Dell D610 wont power up

Solved/Closed
Melissa - Dec 8, 2008 at 07:10 AM
 Mom2many - Jan 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Hello,

I really need some help, my Dell d610 is acting up, last week the battery was dead, so I went to charge it, but at this point my charger was slightly frayed and I had to tape it up. When the charger was in the battery light was on but flashing from green to red, and the battery wasnt actually being charger. I thought this mite be due to a dodgy charger so I got a new one and its still doing the same thing, its not actilly charging the battery just powering the laptop. I wondered if it was a problem with battery itself and whether to get a new one!

Please help quick

Thanks
Related:

10 responses

I have the same problem...Pop off the little cover where the power switch is. Look at where the AC adapter is plugged in. gently tug on adapter. The AC connection to the board is probably broke like mine.
Thank you for the quick fix!
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM
This is going to sound very random, but try it and let me know if it works.

While the laptop is plugged in, remove the battery and try to run off of your AC adapter.

If that works then fiddle with shutting down the computer, and applying the battery again to see if it works. I have the same model at work, and came across the identical problem that has happened twice. By plugging it into the AC adapter and then removing the battery while plugged in, then trying to use it (sometimes it powers down and needs to be restarted, sometimes it continues to startup) then plugging the battery back in after it's powered down and unplugged from the wall has fixed it 100% of the time.

The diagnostic procedures from the Dell User Guide are as follows:

Total Power Failure When Using a Battery
If an AC adapter is not connected to your computer, the computer's power source
is a battery. If the battery indicator flashes amber or is a steady amber, the
battery needs to be charged. If the battery is flashing green and amber, the
battery may be defective. To troubleshoot this problem, use the following
procedure.
1. Turn off the computer and peripherals, and disconnect them from AC power.
2. Reseat each installed battery by removing it and then replacing it.
3. Turn on the computer. Does the green power indicator light up?
Allow one minute for the computer to initialize its components before checking
for signs of power.
Yes. Continue to step 4.
No. Use the AC adapter to connect your computer to AC power. If the computer
operates normally when using AC power, go to step 7. If the computer does not
boot when using the AC adapter, see the previous subsection, "Total Power
Failure When Using the AC Adapter."
4. Does the battery indicator flash amber or show a a steady amber light?
Yes. The battery needs to be charged. Go step 5.
No. Go to step 7.
5. Connect the computer to AC power, and fully charge the battery.
For instructions, see the topic titled "Charging the Battery" in the online
System User's Guide.
6. As the battery charges, does the green battery indicator light up?
Yes. Go to step 9.
No. Go to step 7.
7. Is the battery indicator flashing green and amber?
Yes. Your computer may be in a hot environment. Charging the battery in this
condition may affect the life span of the battery. Continue to step 8.
No. The problem is resolved.
8. Disconnect the computer from AC power. Is the the battery indicator still
flashing amber?
Yes. You may have a defective battery. Continue to step 9.
9. Remove the battery, and press its test button. Is the uppermost indicator in
the charge gauge of the battery flashing?
Yes. You have a defective battery. Continue to step 9.
10. If a spare battery is available, fully charge it, and then install it in the
computer.
11. Turn on the computer. Is the power indicator off?
Yes. Your original battery is defective. Call Dell for a replacement. (See
Chapter 5, "Getting Help," for
instructions.)
No. Call Dell for technical assistance. (See Chapter 5, "Getting Help," for
instructions.)
<<I have the same model at work, and came across the identical problem that has happened twice. By plugging it into the AC adapter and then removing the battery while plugged in, then trying to use it (sometimes it powers down and needs to be restarted, sometimes it continues to startup) then plugging the battery back in after it's powered down and unplugged from the wall has fixed it 100% of the time.>>

Indeed, this is a random solution. I am glad this post is still open. My situation was/is a little different. Same laptop, a Dell Latitude 610with XP Pro at work. Will not power up on random occasions, after normal shut down. I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with closong the lid. Even though the Power Option Properties have been modified to 'Do nothing' when the lid is closed, and hibernation is unchecked, sometimes when closing and re opening the lid (moving from one place to another) the display lingers before restoring. If I am closing the lid after the Windows 'Shutting down' windowbox closes, but before the machine stops completely, does handling the lid closing process interrupt the handling of the shutting down process, enough to keep the machine from resetting the power settings? When this occurs on my laptop, I have no (zero, none, nada, zip) power whatsoever. No AC, no DC, no power indicator lights, and even a dead feel to the power button(could be my imagination).

Bottom line, leaving the AC Adapter power cord plugged in, pulling the battery for at least 20-30 seconds, and then replacing the battery, while still plugged in, somehow resets and is then able to be powered on. No other combination seems to work for me.

This is only a quick fix, google isn't offering other finds, and still need a solution other than get a different computer. My guess is that since that area of the laptop sees alot of traffic between the lid hinge and ports, that the connections will have a short life expectancy, and that that is just how it is...
Nope, checked all those connections and were good. Found a manual in .PDF, didn't help fix the problem, but offered insight to it. Power settings were set so when battery went into critically low state, system went into stand-by. Depending on the day, I use wireless to get on the network, Norton Security Suite, and sometimes Outlook runs unattended(forgotten). Sometimes when I power down, I close the lid after the Windows is shutting down... box goes away. I have found out that sometimes the system will hang, and not continue to shut down like one would expect. Somehow, the battery will drain in 15 minutes, and of course then die.

When this happens, after I plug it back in, it is in a coma. I have held the power button in, to have it do nothing, and only once has it actually came back up. So I have changed the power settings to shut down when battery reaches critical, do not close the lid until all of the lights have faded completely and hear no more fan, and disable the wireless for extra measure. So far no more problems.

Still dont know why it behaves this way, but until I learn this, I have modified my behavior, to better serve the machine...
My D610 would not power on. I tried taking out battery, holding upside down and powering on but nothing worked. I noticed my "A" green power button was flashing during bootup.
The final fix was to take out the keyboard and replace my (1) Gig memory card underneath the keyboard. After I replaced it the laptops boots up and works great.

Hope this helps someone.
This worked 100% thank you

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i think your battery has stoped to take charged.. it happens with lithium batteries.

you have to drain the charge off the battery complety before recharging it.

even if it dosnt power up your laptop, but it still has charge, you have to drain it. you can do it by:

plug the charger into your laptop and power it up, and press F8 while its booting.
it will go to a menu where it shows up where you can choose to boot in safe mode.
at this point DONT GO TO ANY MOOD. just leave it and un plig the power adaptor and let it be on the battery.

now it will take a while before it completley runout of charge.
when it does finally turns off.
plug the power adaptor (dont turn your laptop on) and leave it on charge fully while its off, (you will now when its fully charged when the light goes from ornage to gree)

hope this helps.
I've got a dell d600 dino couldint power up tryed the batt trick and wolla ;)

after 25 min fraustraion, turned the wifes PC on googled this up and hit the wright forum you've gotta love the web :)

Cheers, thanks, Takk

Eiríkur Ingi
Thank you for your help.

The power up with ac connected then remove battery, shutdown, remove plug and then power up again worked.

God bless you all.
Replacing bad memory took care of my problem.
Thanks
Carlos
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that I fixed a customers dell latidude d610 with same reported problem. Laptop would not turn on with or without AC power (with battery plugged in) = seemingly no power to laptop whatsoever / looked like the power button was not working at all. As per TheParoxysm's advice, the Solution here is as simple as this: Remove the battery, it is probably +5 years old.

Interesting to note that after I removed the (defective?) battery, powered up and turned on / shut down the laptop successfully, putting the old battery back in did not impede the performance; this laptop is leaving my house the way it came here, with the battery in... and of course a suggestion to get a new battery :P

Also just a heads up this customer had windows vista installed, and upon loading welcome screen for vista, vista says the hard drive is dying and to backup data immediately. So if any of you have this model it is VERY WISE to backup data BEFORE you see this warning or experience this problem firsthand - your laptop and mainly your hard drive (which is like an engine in a car almost, basically the only moving part in a computer that is prone to wearing down and 'breaking' over time) are getting old and worn out.
Thank you so much... totally worked!