Computer fails after cpu fan replacement

Solved/Closed
patriots21 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday August 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2010 - Aug 10, 2010 at 05:53 AM
patriots21 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday August 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2010 - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all here are what makes up my unit:
Gigabyte ga-8i945p-r-gh mobo
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz
1gb ddr2 ram
windows xp
a working video card, a working power supply unit
and A NEW CPU FAN

So, I just replaced my old intel cpu fan because it was making a lot of noise plus it was pretty old with a fairly similar one but a more modern model. While at it, I took the liberty of wiping the tons of accumulated dust inside the entire computer box. To my surprise and utmost despair, when everything was in place and I booted the contraption up, the fan runs properly not to mention quietly, the PC boots for 5 secs, gets to the windows xp screen then, it just turns off. (thermal shutdown maybe?)

Since I didn't really unplug anything except for the fan, I doubt if its a wire problem. My PSU was working fine before just before I did this so I have very little inclination to think that this is the root of my dilemma. Could it be possible that it's the thermal paste? or could it be something more sinister, like an inefficient cooling system, a busted mobo, or a crazy act of God.

Replies will be greatly appreciated, hell I'd be so glad I'll give you a hug.

Edit: I gave the old fan another shot or two but the same thing happened. please don't tell me to get a new rig, I was getting along just fine before this.

Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 10, 2010 at 06:12 AM
Dear Sir,

It might be that the CPU fan has been wrongly placed or still that the power supply is messing up. Please confirm the source of the problem.

Thanks in advance.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 10, 2010 at 08:25 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

If you have placed the CPU FAN without removing the old thermal compound and

applying a new one on the processor then remove the old thermal compound

from the processor and make sure that your CPU FAN is also clean without any

thermal compound.

Now freshly apply some thermal compound in the middle of processor and

fix the CPU FAN properly.

Good Luck.
patriots21 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday August 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2010
Aug 10, 2010 at 06:29 AM
I couldn't possibly have installed the fan improperly. it's a fairly easily installed fan. just replace the new fan then turn the plastic locks. or is there more to it?

as to the PSU hypothesis, can anybody give me signs to look out for that would indicate that my power supply has failed?
patriots21 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday August 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2010
Aug 10, 2010 at 06:30 PM
I'll go try this one out. I didn't really remove the previous layer of thermal compound, which looked pretty messed up, before fixing the new fan in place. The new fan, by the way, comes already with its own thermal compound. I intend on scraping everything off then reapplying a fresh layer.

I'll give you a post when I've tried it out.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM
removed the old layer of thermal compound, reapplied a new layer, same thing still happens. no problem with the hard disk, vga, ram, as well as wiring.

I've just about exhausted my ideas as to what may be the culprit behind all of these.
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM
hey, I got it fixed thanks to the two of you. turned out my fan was attached quite loosely, so king.mac was right. i'm an idiot, I know, for bothering you guys with something so naive.

thanks anyway.