Connected to Internet but still can't browse

Closed
CompNewb - Aug 11, 2010 at 02:11 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Aug 12, 2010 at 07:30 AM
Hello,

Hello,

I recently believed that I got a virus because I suddenly started to get pop ups. So I started removing programs from my control panel (atheros, polipo and tor to be exact) then suddenly I was unable to connect to the Internet. My wireless connection says that I have good connection but whenever I use IE or firefox the page will not load. I've tried going to TCP/IP properties and use automatic. Internet tools, connections and LAN setting to auto detect but neither have worked so far. Is there anyone able to help? I'm using a asus netbook if that matters. I've tried ping google.com in cmd I have 4 sent and 4 reciever so I don't think it's that. Is it a virus? It wasn't letting me access any virus scanners prior to this. Please help

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 11, 2010 at 03:29 PM
Hello,

Try this 1,

Right click on the "Internet Explorer" icon---->Click on "Properties"---> Click on

"Connections" tab-->Click on LAN settings button. In that window uncheck all the

options, if you notice any option selected. Check your firewall also.

If you are using firefox,

In Firefox, Click on Tools-->Options--->Advanced --> Network--->Settings--->

select "No proxy" option and click on OK.

Good Luck.
Tried both and still not working. I am able to connect to MSN but not IE or firefox
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 12, 2010 at 07:30 AM
Try resetting your Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Just follow the instructions.

1) Click on Start ----> click on Run -----> type cmd and click on OK. Command

Prompt will be opened.

2) then type this command

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

then press Enter.

It rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP.

3) Reboot your computer.