Internet explorer doesn't open/can't close

Solved/Closed
Monica - Aug 12, 2010 at 03:31 PM
 Monica - Aug 13, 2010 at 01:51 PM
Hello, here's my deal: half the time, internet explorer opens fine. The other half the time, it does this: opens but only shows top part of the screen (the part w/the address, favorites, etc), and the rest of the screen is white. No matter how long I wait, nothing happens. When I try to close it, nothing happens. I have to right-click the task bar on the bottom, click "Task Manager" then click off internet explorer.

Related:

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 12, 2010 at 03:43 PM
Hello,

Try resetting your "Internet Explorer" settings.

Right-click on "Internet Explorer" icon ---> Properties ---> Click on "Advanced" tab

---> Click on "Reset" button.

Good Luck.
Hi jack, I tried all the steps you posted, but when I hit 'reset', it states I have to close all open windows and programs. Which is frustrating because I don't have anything else open. Therefore, I can't proceed. Grr.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 13, 2010 at 04:19 AM
Hello,
Hold Ctrl and Shift Keys and press the Esc key ---> Task Manager will be opened.
Then select each process that contains your Username or as administrator in the "User Name" column and click on end process.
Note : Don't end the process "explorer.exe" and then try the above instructions.
Woot! Remember how yesterday it kept saying I couldn't reset Internet Explorer because I had programs running?This morning I opened task manager and closed a bunch of redundant programs, namely AVG programs. Then I retried the Internet Explorer reset, and it WORKED LIKE A CHARM! Thank you to Jack and Cassandra for the helpful tips. I've written all your advice down in case the problem arises again. Thank you so much!
Alrighty, I followed the steps, but when I click the reset button it states I have to close all open windows and programs before proceeding. I don't have anything else open, but it insists I do. Odd.
Using the task manager is the only way I can close the blank IE page, so that's how I've been closing it when it doesn't work right. Funny thing, after I close it using the task manager, usually the next attempt to get online works fine.
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Hello,
Click on the below link and follow the instructions.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/975685
Good Luck.
Cassandra_IE_Team
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Hi Monica,

If you have been able to close out using the Task Manager, were you able to successfully reset your Internet Explorer settings as Jack detailed in his first response? This is the first step to try in order to repair the problem.

You can also try running Internet Explorer in No Add-on Mode. This should help cut back on load times. To do so click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Let us know what happens!

Cheers,
Cassandra
IE Outreach Team