Desktopitems and start and task bar missing!!

Solved/Closed
Filler - Aug 17, 2010 at 02:59 PM
 B4k3N3k0 - Aug 20, 2010 at 01:58 PM
Hello,

Yesterday, I was looking online for Manga webcomics on a site that I used before and though was safe. It turns out that the website changed, and had a hidden virus inside of it.
I got the Virus and don't know what to do. This virus is Called "Suspcious.Mystic." , My Norton Antivirus tried to get rid of it but it kept repeatedly attacking.
My brother and I tried turning it off and turned it back on to find that the Start Button, Task Bar, And Desktop items were missing.
The Onlything remaining was the Background. We tried to Right Click the background, but the box won't appear. The only thing we can do is Press Ctrl+Alt+Del which opens up the Task Manager..
From there I am able to open up the Internet, and be able to write here. But still, my Computer still has a virus.. Luckily I found this website, and tried to find ways to fix the "Suspicious.Mystic" problem so far no luck. I found out that it it has something to do with the explorer.exe thing. It's like corrupt or something and you have to change it or something by going to the. I can't find explorer.exe anywhere. I've looked through a lot of places like "C:\Windows" and "regedit" in the task bar. I went to Regedit and that shell thing and don't know what to do next.
I tried working on safe mode, but it doesn't show Start Button, Task Bar, And Desktop items either. it seems hopless to use the Safe Mode.
Scanning with Norton Antivirus and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware doesn't do much.
Please Help me I don't know what to do...

Here are some other information that I don't know about: I opened up Windows Task Manager, went to file, run, typed in C:\Windows, pressed ok, Browsed, and it led me to a place called program files with different files, I clicked Internet Explorer, then I see something that says iexplore. Do I do anything with that or no? I try clicking it, and press ok then a window appears but its blank and then a smaller window appears it saying that the application is not found. I know something is wrong. And its most likely from that "Suspicious.Mystic" virus. Can you please look that up and help me out? Thank you.

I hope I was informative enough. If you have any questions, Email me at deleted

Related:

2 responses

This is a Rootkit - ugly and difficult to clean completely. You have no desktop because explorer.exe has been gutted - it's still in C:\Windows, but it's icon is a dos box because the file is no longer recognizable. The infection has probably gutted other system files and changed registry keys and file associations. Hiding under the Rootkit are potentially hundreds of infections.

Probably your best option with this kind of infection is to reformat and reinstall your operating system. But, if you have data you don't want to lose and have not been able to (and cannot now) make backups, go to a forum such as BleepingComputer.com or GeeksToGo.com (MajorGeeks is good too). Only go to one - many of the techs work in several of these forums and they'll notice if you cross post to other forums and shut down all but one thread.

Go to their Virus and Malware section, find the top sticky post with "Instructions & Do This First" info. Do the tasks they ask, then make your first post as they instruct you to. Make your title something to the effect of "Rootkit Infection, explorer.exe Missing or Corrupt". Wait for help. Only these people can help with such a kernel/registry infection - trying to fix it yourself could damage your computer operating system beyond repair.

Source: I am currently cleaning this very Rootkit from a friend's computer. Same exact symptoms in same order of occurrence as poster has listed. + years of cleaning training & experience.

Best of luck to you and anyone else that reads this.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 17, 2010 at 03:53 PM
This should get back your desk top but it will not remove the virus:

A program called explorer.exe controls the display of your taskbar and desktop icons. If for some reason it goes missing (you may have killed it using Task Manager, for example, or something more sinister like a virus has deleted it from your processes), then try this first:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
3. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

If nothing sinister caused it to disappear, it should all come back as it was and you can stop panicking, breathe a sigh of relief, and continue working.

If that doesn't work, then try this:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. Go to the Processes tab.
3. Click on the Image Name column header to sort the list alphabetically.
4. Find all explorer.exe processes -- select each, then click End Process for each one.
5. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
6. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

Good Luck