Internet disconnects when 2nd user is on

Solved/Closed
Taurean - Dec 13, 2008 at 03:42 PM
 the helped - Apr 18, 2014 at 09:35 AM
Hello,

I have a strange problem. I have a modem integrated with wireless router. I'm sharing it with my housemate. My laptop is currently connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable. When I'm the only one using the internet, the connection works well. However, once my housemate's laptop connects to the wireless network, internet disconnects regularly throughout the day (and night) and will either reconnect within 2 mins or never, at which point I have to manually restart the modem. Also, he has confirmed that the problem persists even he is the only one using the internet i.e. I'm offline.

I have tried the folllowing but didn't work:
(1) Connect his laptop directly to the modem via LAN cable
(2) Connect the modem directly to the phone socket i.e. removed the microfilter
(3) Get him to scan for virus.
(4) Get him to scan for spyware using Ad Aware.

I'm incliined to believed that it is his laptoip's problem, rather than the ISP or the modem but I don't know what the problem is.

Any suggestion is much appreciated. Thank you.
Related:

10 responses

i want to share something that solve my problem using vista, win7, and winxp on a network. I simply made a crossover lan cable connection from the modem to router thus eleminates internet disconnection. I tested this method on 3 routers which is not compliant to win vista and win7. and it works great. hope this could help to others with similar problems...
Suhailm57@gmail.com
Oct 16, 2009 at 09:43 PM
Hi, how did you do that..?can you please show me.
ceez > Suhailm57@gmail.com
Dec 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Go to a computer store like Best Buy or Micro Center and buy a crossover network cable. Ask for it in the store. Then use that cable to replace the one connecting your wireless adapter to the Internet provider router.
How'd you manage to do that with W7 not yet out at the time of writing?