Ask a question Report

Find missing data in 2 columns (Excel) [Closed]

dalami81 2Posts Friday August 27, 2010Registration date August 27, 2010 Last seen - Latest answer on Oct 17, 2011 05:32AM
I have two lists of data (patent serial numbers) that I need to compare and find the missing serial numbers. In Column A I have my database's list of patent serial numbers. In Column B I have the patent office's list of my patent serial numbers. Theoretically these lists should be identical, but they are not.
What I need to do is find what serial numbers are missing displayed in Column C. It would be helpful if the results in Column C were shaded to represent if the number came from Column A or Column B, but it is not critical.
I have run several macros but they are not providing the results I am seeking. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Read more 
moins plus
Assuming the list in column B is shorter than in column A, write the following formula in the C1 cell: =IF(COUNTIF(A:A;B1)=0;B1;"")
This formula searches through the A column for the B1 value. If it doesn't find anything (COUNFIF is equal to 0) means the B1 is in B but missing in A. It will write the B1 value in the C1 cell. Otherwise it will leave the cell empty.
Copy this formula in the entire C column. You will probably have to replace ; with an ordinary comma but in Excel 2003 it works only with ;
You can do it the other way around in column D to see if some values from A are in A but not in B. =IF(COUNTIF(B:B;A1)=0;A1;"")

moins plus
A two column solution might be:
In column A, your number
In colunm B, their number
in column C
in column D

change the $34 to be how many rows you are comparing.
The isblank function is there to stop the comparison if the source cell is empty.

This document entitled « Find missing data in 2 columns (Excel) » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.