Ask a question Report

Disk drive not showing up [Solved/Closed]

Damian - Latest answer on Nov 24, 2012 12:26AM
Hello,
Can someone pls help me. Every time i insert a disk into my disk drive it dosent come up at all. Its like it doesnt exsiest at all. Because when I go into my computer all thar is there is things about my hardrive and howmuch space is left. I am useing vista. Can someone pls help me!
Kind regards
Damian Hewett
Read more 
Answer
+806
moins plus
Hi my name is navjot and i was having the same problem i have sorted it

just follow the instruction

go to start
right click on my computer
click on manage
then click on storage
then click on disk management
then right click on your device and select add letters and path
window will pop up then click on add
the select an alphabet and click on ok

this will solve your prb....

thnkxxx

pls rate

navjot- Nov 18, 2012 01:47PM
thanx alot buddy really work for me
shanky- Nov 19, 2012 09:51PM
thanks mate..it helped :)
Eric- Nov 20, 2012 02:59PM
Thanks helped me too
chris- Nov 21, 2012 08:56AM
Thanks I forgot how to do that!
Nil- Nov 24, 2012 12:26AM
Thanks A lot
Answer
+123
moins plus
CD/DVD Drive is not getting show in my cd rom (my computer), although cd is going in or out properly.

Answer
+64
moins plus
I have vista and XP/XP Pro on my 3 home computers and all 3 has had this issue at some point in time. This worked for all 3 with no problems.
1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

kartom- Mar 27, 2010 11:25PM
nothing happened,,,i think while trying to create a network connection it said save to e:- my cd drive,,, i did that without any cd and then i cancelled it,,some pop up said that i will delete any on that drive E,,,but my drive does not read anything,,not checked write,,,,a full cd and open E: it will still say, copy to cd as if it is blank,,,,do you know how can it be resolved,,i tried deleting drive and reinstalling, but no help also changed drive name ,,still no help,,,,thanks i have windows XP
chris- Jun 12, 2010 03:16AM
the command REGEDIT does not work on my laptop.
Dan- Jun 19, 2010 03:05AM
thank you i love you man
gdeepankar- Oct 12, 2012 01:24AM
I did not get step 4. Could not locate Upperfilter
happy PC- Nov 16, 2012 11:47AM
The quick fix executable Microsoft file didn't work, however the REGEDIT did the job. I removed the low & high filters, then disabled and enabled the drive and BOOM! E:/!!!!!! It's there again & reads like a champ (no thanks to iTUNES!).
Answer
+37
moins plus
Ok so here is my solution,

We shall use a systematic approach to cover a wider audience using windows xp home SP3 32bit OS.
1). Find your way to "Computer Management" (R Click---->manage)
2). Expand disk drives (System tools--> Device Manager--> Disk drives)
3). Choose the driver of the HDD you have problems with (Choose the correct one, usually with the red cross indicating it is disabled and cannot enable/having problems enabling it via GUI or CLI)
4). Uninstall (R Click----> Uninstall)
5). Exit "Computer Management" window
6). Safely remove hardware (Safely remove USB mass storage device-->tit is now safe to remove your hard ware)
7). Re plugin the external HDD (and wait for it to install the drivers afresh)
8). Rock and Roll ( only once it says every thing is good to go, Patience is a virtue)
9). Repeate steps 1 to 8 for other drives with this problems if necessary and have the drivers in hand only.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***). Also you can change the drive letter so collisions do not occur

10). Find your way to "Computer Management" (R Click---->manage)
11). Select your external HDD (Storage--> Disk Management--> Choose disk via upper table or lower diagram/representation)
12). "Change drive letter and paths" (Choose drive--> R Click on drive)
13). Select drive---> Click on "Change"
14). Assign the following drive letter (Choose your drive letter, start from Z. Connections to databases will need to be removed and programes will not function properly if you are willing to do this) its very obvious
15)Click on "Ok"

Hope this helps
from Novis

Answer
+26
moins plus
im using windows vitsta /the tsst corp DVD RW TS driver may be corrupted or missing (code39) plz help
many thanks al

Connie- Apr 21, 2010 09:59PM
vinci0906, thank you so much it works now!
Guest3232- Apr 30, 2010 04:22PM
Mine does not show up even in the list in device manager, any ideas? google chrome did let in a bunch of viruses the same day the drive disappeared, and i had to remove them with avast, so that may be connected.
Stacee-Awesome-o- May 12, 2010 09:59PM
Vinci0906, you are a *insert bad word* lifesaver... Thank you sooo much.. This happened to me and my mother thought I stuffed it up some how... Geez thanks for ur great advice *bows down to you* lol
DOng- Jun 24, 2010 12:42PM
AWESOME!! Thanks a million
hi- Jun 26, 2010 01:54AM
i dont know about you guysbut i have a toshiba and my disk drive dont come up on "my computer" on device manegment its comes uup with a ! surrounded by a yelow triangle.i have tried every thing.............................help
Answer
+20
moins plus
Hi,

Can you check whether you Disc Drive is well connected ?

to check the device :

Right click on my Computer

Select Properties

Hardware devices

Device Manage :

Check your Dvd/cd drives.. whether everything is connected.

If not try re-installing the device or to update it.

paul- Oct 10, 2009 03:39AM
please help me

Recently when i connected together a new cc/dvd lg writer with my old cd/dvd rom.but the drive shows nil. when i remove the power cable from the old rom , 1 of the drive shows.please help me to solve the problem

paul
Vinay- Oct 11, 2009 10:25PM
Hello Paul,

In order for me to solve this problem for you, I would need some more details on how the CD/DVD drive is connected in your computer. There are 3 things I would like to know:

1. What is the interface the CD/DVD drive hardware is connected - is it using a Parallel IDE interface (if the cable is a flat ribbon cable which is wide and has about 40 pins on the connector end) or is it using a SATA interface (This is a cable which is about 1/2 an inch wide and the connector that goes into the Drive is also very thin)

2. What is the Power output of the POWER SUPPLY used in your computer. You can find this if you open the tower case and look at the sides of the power supply unit. It should show some wattage rating, for example: 400W, 600W etc.

3. How may drives are connected in your system in total including your new CD/DVD drive + the existing Hard Disk drives.

From what I can tell so far about the problem your facing is that, the power supply unit on you computer might be of a low wattage and is not providing enough power to the devices. I can ascertain this by the fact that when you disconnect the power cable from one of the drives (ie your old CD drive) one of the other drives shows up. This might indicate that the problem is with the power supply not providing enough power when both the drive's power cables are connected.

regards,
S. Vinay
Frustrated- Jan 1, 2010 06:44AM
I Unistalled it know where do i find it to install it?
Guest3232- Apr 30, 2010 04:21PM
Mine doesn't show up anywhere, it has vanished completely.
nick- Jun 24, 2010 01:40PM
same here vanished completely i think it was avast but also my computer has been in safe mode for awhile and i finaly got it out of it please help!
Answer
+13
moins plus
Thanks alot this worked for me....I wasted so much time fixing this problem....your solution took only few seconds

Answer
+7
moins plus
my drive isnt showing up after i found for trojan virii on my pc anyone help?

Answer
+4
moins plus
I agree with Ron
1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

adsiz- Nov 23, 2012 04:18PM
there isn't any upperfilters/lowerfilters thingy showing up on my computer.
Answer
+3
moins plus
I just checked but it doesnt show up local disk c or d Idk what to do anymore.

Answer
+3
moins plus
reinstall ur driver softwere like rmvfliters

Answer
+2
moins plus
you can try re-inststalling the driver for your cd-rom, or update the driver. i tried this and it fixed my problem.

hope this helps,

damien
IT TECHNICIAN

yukiko- Apr 25, 2010 09:51AM
how to re-install it?? help me.. clueless here ( _ _")m
Guest3232- Apr 30, 2010 04:23PM
Yes please elaborate, how would you reinstall it? No disc came with the computer for the drive.
This document entitled « Disk drive not showing up » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.