Trying to uninstall Norton

Solved/Closed
LJ - Sep 29, 2010 at 04:00 AM
 LJ - Sep 29, 2010 at 07:39 AM
Hello,

I have been having so many problems trying to uninstall Norton.. I finally decided to try the Norton Removal Tool but everytime I click on the click to download it, it says CANNOT FIND WEBPAGE. This is very frustrating as I can't install another anti-virus until Norton is gone. Can someone please help I seriously want to cry I'm so frustrated :(

Lauren

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Sep 29, 2010 at 05:54 AM
Greetings Lauren,

I fully understand your issue and feeling because I experienced the same.

I suggest you never use Norton again, as far as I am concerned all Symantec products are a bunch of problems.

Some people will recommend to use revouninstaller. It will not work because Symantec products leave dung all over the system and even pollute the registry.

To completely remove it and here I assume that your OS is Win XP.

1. Use the remove program utility.

2. Using your seach tool, make a search for Norton and delete all items found.

3. Again with the search tool, look for symantec and delete all items found

4. Download and run this very efficient yet totally free registry cleaner and delete all items found which refer to Norton and Symantec.

https://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

5. If you find other traces of symantec/norton that must be removed (which I doubt you will) please return to me.

6. Defragment your hardrive even if it says you don't need to.

I would appreciate your feedback

Regards
I ended up finally getting rid of it using AppRemover ( https://www.opswat.com/products/metaaccess )

I tried so many different things, most of which asked for a payment before it went through but this got rid of it in under 15mins and I was able to install my new anti-virus. Very relieved! Thanks for your help though :)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Sep 29, 2010 at 06:58 AM
Great, is appremover free?
Yep! Sure is!
Sep 29, 2010 at 07:24 AM
Thank you for the link which I will keep in my data bank and thank you for your feedback. Remember, never Norton again. Anyway if your system gets infected by virus that Norton is supposed to protect you against, if you ask for their assistance, the charge is $99.99 USD.
it's safe to say I won't ever use Norton again.. I am giving Kaspersky a try, only because my sister just bought it and it goes onto 3 computers.. my Norton had expired so I thought why not?! Hopefully it's okay if not I might go AVG..
Sep 29, 2010 at 07:36 AM
I had Kaspersky before F-Secure and Kaspersky is one, if not the best. You will like it, although that sometimes it is a little heavy on the ram, but it is very effective.