Black Screen of Death - Windows XP - Reboots

Closed
BlackCat - Oct 4, 2010 at 02:28 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 4, 2010 at 06:04 AM
Hello,

This afternoon, the power went out right as my PC was shutting down. It never completed its shut down, and i heard a strange pop of electric-type current pass through, as the power was abruply cut (purposefully, through the electric breaker of the house).

Now, my PC gives me a Black Screen of Death, leaves me choice to boot safe mode, run as regular windows, ect, ...but no matter what I choose, the system re-boots after approx. 15 seconds. It'll never get any further than the XP logo with the blue progress bar. RE-BOOT!! And JUST before that re-boot, I see a blue screen of death SO fast, I cannot read it.

Please help. Have i busted the power supply somehow?
Thanks,
Regards,

BlackCat
Related:

2 responses

Update: I've attempted to press F8 when system starts, and i get a pop up asking 'Please select boot device:
HL-DT-STDVD-RAM-GSA-H54N or WDC WD1600AAJS-08PSAO
I the second one WDC..... and it just re-boots again.

If I have a "ghost" installed with this PC, should i be booting from my DVD drive with the ghost DVD (in the drive) instead of my hard drive?
Will i be able to do a 'system restore' if i insert my WIN XP dvd (with Ghost)?
Thanks....any tips will help
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 4, 2010 at 06:04 AM
Hello,

You might be able to, which I hope for you.

When the power in the house came back up, there was no doubt a power surge which your power bar could not handle. which may have physically damaged your hardware. In that case, only a in the flesh technician can repair.

I would also check to see if your power bar offered a garantee against power surges because the company may pay for the repair.

Good luck