Green volume control bar is missing

Solved/Closed
teridon - Dec 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM
 Jakkie - Jun 5, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Hello,
I recently lost my green bar that tells me what my volume control is. It just suddenly disappeared. I can still turn my volume up and down but I cannot see what I am doing as far as how high or low it goes til I hear it. Can anyone tell me how to get my green volume bar back! I have the volume icon in the taskbar it is not missing, Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks...Teri
Related:

29 responses

I lost my volume indicator bar a while back, when I deleted extra icons on my taskbar. I didn't know that one of the icons was the volume indicator bar. I have a Dell E1405 laptop. I checked various website last year, no help. I decided to check again and after reading various websites, it mentioned Quickset. I went to the Dell website and there was no Quickset download for my laptop. I decided to just check Start>All Programs and there it was, Dell Quickset>Quickset. I clicked on Quickset and the icon appeared on my taskbar. I pressed the volume control and there was my volume indicator bar back on the screen. Yippeeee!!
You are right. I did exactly what you did and there it was my beautiful green volume bar.
start
all programs
Dell Quick Set
Quick Set (wil appear in the clock area)
raise or lower the volume
You'll see the green bar again.
teridon > pedro
Feb 21, 2009 at 08:39 AM
I dont have a Dell, I have an HP and that didnt work for me! But thanks anyway
Thanks so much. You guys are great ! I had the same problem and would have never figured that out since I have no idea what quick set was.
sionne > pedro
Apr 6, 2009 at 07:16 AM
hi I have a dell laptop I tried what you said but its not working in quickset it say the volume onscreen meter is enabled but it still doesnt appear on my screen, is there anything else I can try?
Moosh > sionne
Apr 10, 2009 at 08:49 PM
According to Quickset help, you can also use hot keys.
When the meter is enabled, adjust the volume using the volume control buttons or by pressing the following key combinations:

Press <Fn><Page Up> to increase volume.
Press <Fn><Page Down> to decrease volume.
Press <Fn><End> to mute volume.

Hope this helps.
launch manager did the tirck. acer5335 here. thank u
I had the same problem on an acer aspire 5737Z, I went to acer.com and looked for drivers and applications for it after some sort of recovery after a BSOD. I found all neccessary files there, including the launch manager. Good luck!
Launch Manager is located at the program files. Open the Launch Manager folder, then click on LManager application. After this, you can get back the volume display on your screen. :D

If you want to start Launch Manager on startup, go to run, type in msconfig, click the startup bar, look in the list if you see LManager. If not, do these steps:

a) Go to run and type in regedit.
b) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
c) Add a new string value by right clicking on a blank spot and click New > String Value.
d) Put the name LManager.
e) Double click on LManager, then put these words as the value data (includes the " "):
"C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe"
f) Now you're able to see LManager in msconfig startup. (Run > msconfig > Startup)
g) Restart your PC and you'll see green volume control bar again.

Thanks.
Thank u so much about the launch manager info.
It works for me. Now I can see my volume bar again. ^^
Thank you thank you thank you! been searching for almost two weeks how to solve this. launch manger worked.
It still doesn't seem to work for me. I can see the LManager in msconfig startup and I pressed OK for it to save the features that were recently added, but after I restart my computer, nothing happens. The green value bar is still not visible.
this was sooo useful!!!!!!
just press the "fn" button + the page up button and it will pop up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's what worked for me:

In the folder C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart you should see an application named SmartMenu. Right click that application and click Create Shortcut. It may tell you that you can only make a shortcut on your desktop--that is fine.

Once you have your shortcut, drag it into the folder under All Programs named Startup. Restart your computer and the Volume Bar should function properly again.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here. Couldn't have found that without you.

Good Luck!
yeaH! thanks..it worked! so hard for us HP users..haha..XD thanks again..
thanks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
This might be a problem with your startup programs. Launch Manager is removed from your startup program list.

Launch Manager is located at the program files. Open the Launch Manager folder, then click on LManager application. After this, you can get back the volume display on your screen. :D

If you want to start Launch Manager on startup, go to run, type in msconfig, click the startup bar, look in the list if you see LManager. If not, do these steps:

a) Go to run and type in regedit.
b) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
c) Add a new string value by right clicking on a blank spot and click New > String Value.
d) Put the name LManager.
e) Double click on LManager, then put these words as the value data (includes the " "):
"C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe"
f) Now you're able to see LManager in msconfig startup. (Run > msconfig > Startup)
g) Restart your PC and you'll see green volume control bar again.

Thanks
Thanks, it worked for me.!!!!
Anyone know how to get the green bar back on an acer (aspire 5100)?
Just solved it; started 'launch manager' in start menu if anyone else has the problem on an acer
i have a problem on a gateway NV series need help too
Chris Kitavong
May 30, 2009 at 08:07 PM
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook Model T1010 which is a touchscreen laptop currently running on windows vista. I also had the same problem with the green volume indicator bar. It was working fine, then one day, while I was adjusting the volume, I noticed the green indicator bar was gone. I became saddened by the idea of having to look at the little volume icon in the taskbar every time I wanted to see where my volume was set at. I called Fujitsu customer support expecting a quick and easy solution, however it wasn't helpful one bit due to the fact that the Middle Eastern customer service reps didnt understand me at all. :SIGH:.. Anyway, after receiving useless information and hanging up with Fujitsu customer support, I did futher research into my computer and fixed it myself! This is what I did: Opened my Computer folder>Local Disk (C)>Program Files>Fujitsu>Fujitsu Hotkey Utility>then there it was.. IndicatorUty. It's an application, and when I opened it up.. BAM! My good ol' green volume indicator bar came back! Must say, I was happier than an 8 year old child on Christmas morning =D

So, here's what we should try with yours..

Since you're running on windows XP, it's going to be a little different, but we'll just wing it ;D

1) Open your "Computer" or "My Computer" folder
2) Open Local Disk "C:", and navigate to "Program Files"
3) Search for a folder labeled "HP" or something similar that would contain files and applications of your computer's manufacturer. In your case, this would be "HP"
4) After locating and opening that folder, search for a folder labeled something along the lines of "HP Hotkey Utility" Note: If you can't find a folder named "HP Hotkey Utility" you will have to open each folder one by one and search for the "IndicatorUty" (indicator utility which will bring back your precious green bar) This is an APPLICATION and SHOULD have a little green "splat" looking icon associated with it.
5) Once you have located this application, simply open it, and presto! Adjust your volume and you should have your little green bar back!

I hope this helped! Let me know how it goes...
I have a Dell studio 15 and I cleaned up my system tray a bit and no longer had my volume control show up on screen. I didn't find the Dell Quickset when I went to Start>All Programs, but I did find it when I went to C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet. I double clicked on the QuickSet application and nothing happened, so I alternate-clicked on it and selected open. It opened up the MobilityCenter after which the volume control screen indicator reappeared. Funny how simply little things that can make you happy!
dyejune > Cowboy
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM
thanks cowboy..I follow your steps and it works for me....;p
Chris Kitavong
Jul 19, 2009 at 06:25 PM
p.s. In order for the green bar to start up automatically after every time you shut it down then boot it back up, all you need to do is add the ultility to your list of startup programs! Wa laaaa!!
Hi,
I had the same problem on a Compaq laptop. If you type 'msconfig' (without ' ') into run. Then click on the 'startup' tab. Then make sure that 'ehtray' is enabled and try that.
Hope it helps
Reece
Reece,

You're the man as they say. I tried your instruction and it worked, meaning enabling 'ehtray' in MS CONFIG.
Thanks so much and God gives you, your deepest heart desires.
Thanks.

Al
hmlsr47 Posts 1 Registration date Friday September 25, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 26, 2009
Sep 26, 2009 at 03:55 PM
Thanks Reese. Opening up "msconfig" and enabling "ehtray" restored my missing green volume control bars display. I had spent most of today, Sat, 26Sep09, researching this problem and just located your "solution" roughly 15 minutes or so ago at approximately 4:30p.m.. The last time that I experienced this very same problem, I contacted HP Support for my Windows XP Professional Notebook and was given an alternate file to download and install. It did not look the same and I did not like its display. Your solution is so simple, I now wonder why the HP Support Tech did not furnish the same solution??? Thanks again. hmlsr47
cant find the ehtray in startup you have any idea's?
TO EVERYONE WHO IS MISSING THE GREEN VOLUME BAR;

Go to this link :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-19612-1

Download the program (It is called: sp27678.exe,(1/1, 1.86M)

Run the program twice, and you are all set. Remember to save the program for next time you loose the bar.

Be well
Goran
Oops --- this link as posted doesn't work. Something missing....?

On my Mediasmart touch bar, the checkmark doesn't open Media Smart, and the volume bar is missing, although the volume does go up & down.

A few days ago I unchecked HP Mediasmart out of my Startup list in System Configuration (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - System Configuration - Startup Tab). The startup path is listed as c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\startup

After reading Frankie's comment I checked it again, but as she stated, this doesn't restore the volume button nor does it make the MediaSmart "checkmark" on the touch bar work again. *Sigh*

Now I'm trying the shortcut fix, but I'm not sure if it needs to go to c\windows\startmenu\programs\startup or to the longer path listed above. BTW, I really hate the multiple user profiles in Vista!!!! Oh how I miss XP.

The HP site is not very easy to use, but I'm trying to find some update or other download that will fix this problem. I definitely don't want to make it worse =:-o

Thanks all, Lee
HOORAY!!!
Alex's fix worked for me, I think. At least, after I created the shortcut and put it into the appropriate path (the very long one: c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\startup) I then
- doubleclicked smartmenu.exe and saw the 4 icons come up on the screen as they should when the "V" or "MediaSmart checkmark" is pressed on the touch bar;
- also opened HPMediaSmart Music from the Start Menu-Programs, then randomly clicked on the big "V" in the upper right hand corner, which opened the DVD program and voila....when I pressed the volume settings, they began working.
- Rebooted the computer, and the volume bars now show and work, although they do NOT work until everything else has finished loading, which takes some time so you have to be patient before testing

Now the "V" and the volume on the touchbar work as usual. Not sure if updating via HP would be a cleaner fix, but anyway the thing isn't driving me crazy anymore ;->

Alex's fix is copied here below for your convenience.

"In the folder C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart you should see an application named SmartMenu. Right click that application and click Create Shortcut. It may tell you that you can only make a shortcut on your desktop--that is fine.

Once you have your shortcut, drag it into the folder under All Programs named Startup. Restart your computer and the Volume Bar should function properly again"
princelu Posts 9 Registration date Saturday September 13, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2009 4
Dec 25, 2008 at 12:52 AM
hi,
to make it appear again you need to go to:
> "Control panel"
> "Sounds and audio devices"
then select
"Place volume icon in taskbar"
I am not missing the icon in the taskbar, I am missing the green bar that goes across the bottom of my screen as I turn the volume up or down. I tried the control panel thing and thats not the problem. I was wondering if there was something else I could do that I was missing. The part that is missing is the green bar that adds a bar every time the volume goes up a notch. Any suggestions on that? Thanks for your help! Teri
katag > teridon
Jan 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM
I have the same problem and I haven't been able to find a solution. I hope someone out there knows how to fix it. It's really annoying to have to open the volume control from the icon to have to see how high or low the volume is!
stugol > teridon
Nov 24, 2009 at 04:12 AM
iv tried everything that everyone suggests here, I have a dell 1525....i cant find quickset, ive tried going into all recommended files....everything!!!!!!! and nothing brings my green volume control up on my screen!!!
PLEASE CAN ANY OF YOU HELP? THIS IS SO ANNOYING!!!
in fact, since my reboot from disc, my wifi button, when pushed up, doesnt show the networks visible display either!!!...again any help greatly appreciated.
That is also the same problem I have, I have the same laptop, I think.
Teri,

By any chance is your keyboard a Millennium Keyboard? I also lost the green bars, but just figured out how to get them back. I had to update the driver for the keyboard ... even though I had reinstalled the drivers with the disk originally, it needed to be forced. Here are the directions I followed:

1. Turn your system off.
2. Connect your PS/2 Millennium Keyboard to the PS/2 keyboard port of your PC.
3. Turn your system on and start Windows.
4. Open the Control Panel by clicking Settings from Start Menu.
5. Double-click System icon and select Device Manager tab.
6. Expand the devices under Keyboard, locate the device you want to update (
for example, "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyvoard") and
double-click on it.
7. In Properties page, select the Driver tab and click on the "Update Driver..."
button.
8. Select "Specify the location of the driver (Advanced)" item and click "Next"
button.
9. Choose "Display a list of the known drivers for this device, so you can
select the driver you want" item and click "Next" button.
10. Click "Have Disk..." button. In the "Install From Disk" dialog, input the
right path of driver (for example, "A:\Me") or click "Browse..." button to
look for driver manually then Click "OK" .
11. Choose "PS/2 Millennium Keyboard" and click "Next" button.
12. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver installation.

Good Luck !!! I hope it works for you.
https://aramistech.com/index.php

Go there and d/l it. work perfectly for me. ONLY FOR VISTA. ( look the video for XP )

You can also see the complete video for the instal. http://www.blip.tv/file/1280601

Easy :) enjoy
hey demonrush
thanks so much..i have w7 now but it still works for that too....well pleased, again, many thanks ;o)
hi there,
i can also confirm it works with windows 7 (oem) 64bit on my hp9228 laptop .
thanks again for a great solution (and to my problem.)

best regards,
mike
It's very simple, this is for Hp users only:
go on: C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons
Then you will see an application named: hpcasl20
Click on it , then install... the problems can be cause by several things like registry cleaners...

good luck..
For those that have HP laptops, make sure that under your startup menu (Run > type in "msconfig" > Startup tab), "HP MediaSmart SmartMenu" is checked. If not, try checking it and restarting your computer.
script kiddie
Mar 27, 2010 at 03:24 PM
thank you, this is how you fix the no volume bar for the HP DV7-2110sa

go to your start menu
type in msconfig
press enter
go to the start up tab
now tick or untick every HP manufactured startup item
save/apply changes
then restart your laptop
try it out, it should work
it did for me im sorry for the false hope if it didnt
seriously try it out it worked for me :)
Hi,

I was having this problem with my Vostro 1000. I never downloaded all the Dell "Fluff" software, so I could not find a "quickset". Also, most all of the "fixes" on here weren't anything I could find/do.

So, just in case there is anyone else who still cannot fix it so they can see their green slider, I decided to try something that actually worked!

I merely went to control panel and clicked the keyboard icon. I went to the "key settings" for my wireless. Then I clicked restore defaults. Viola! My volume bar shows up now when I use the function key with the page up and page down.

Maybe it will help someone out there who hasn't found a solution yet.
Hey- I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65, and I have a touch sound control bar above my keyboard on my laptop. The problem is that when I click on the mute button, it doesn't light up, and no icon appears on screen. The same happens with the sound up, and down buttons, except they do light up when I touch them, but still no Icons appear on screen! This is very frustrating. I have Windows Vista- Can anyone help me please!!?
I lost mine to on my old 2001 H.P. pav.554y .I got it back by clicking start button the click the run in it I typed msconfig OK it when the System config Utility opens.
Click the START-UP tab in the list will be KBD it is Key Board Driver or Device.
Make sure it is checked then restart. how this helps you.
thanks !

another friend teach me to reinstall acer launch manager and it works!
I have an HP Entertainment Notebook running Vist 64 (hooray for me). My volume bar disappeared again and luckily I remembered how I fixed it last time. MediaSmart is the program that controls the volume bar feature and allows it to work/appear automatically upon startup. Some other GREAT fixes here, but for me they didnt work after restarting my OS. HP Update had downloaded an Update for HP Mediasmart that had not actually installed which caused MediaSmart to not run at Startup. I located the MediaSmart program folder with a simple search, double-clicked the app icon as if to open the app and the install continued automatically. A manual install may be required in some cases (had to do that last time) . Also, HP Quicklaunch Buttons may also be required in some cases. The most recent versions/fixes for these apps can be found at hp.com. Enter your basic system/laptop info and it will populate a list of software, apps & fixes for your specific computer. ALSO IMPORTANT, do not disable Mediasmart in start-up programs. If you do then you will manually need to launch the on-screen volume indicator via various other means. I'm an automatic kind of girl so I would much rather it just be there no matter what/when I need it. I'm a firm believer in having as few programs as possible running on startup, but MediaSmart uses very few resources AND it gives me my volume bar so it's worth it. Hope this was helpful to someone. THANK YOU ALL for all the great info!!
Frankie
Frankie you're a doll.Damn volumebars...
Hi, thank you so much you bring my volume bar on my screen back thanks
sedona86336 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 11, 2009
Nov 11, 2009 at 07:03 PM
Hi there everyone whos missing the volume bar! You need to re-install a HP program called: A0004320
Reg cleaners and anti spyware corrupt it sometimes. If you can't find it on the web, I'll be happy to send it to you if you send your e-mail address to: sedona86336@hotmail.com

Be well
Goran
hey can u plz send it to me!
obk_88@hotmail.com
Thanks
sonet123 > obk
Nov 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM
What I did to fix the green bar is to download and run the drivers for a Microsoft multimedia key board. Immediately got the volume green bar on screen, granted it might not be your original but it will work fine. unfortunately at this moment I cat tell which file I used just search MS multimedia keyboard drives at the Microsoft site.