Ask a question Report

Fans run, no beep, computer won't boot up.... [Solved]

mswicked6 1Posts Monday October 25, 2010Registration date October 25, 2010 Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 16, 2010 05:02PM
Hello,
So for a few months my computer wouldn't always turn on properly. It would beep, start booting up, then everything would turn off. Thought it was having issues overheating. Only happened every once in a while.
Then I came home one day to a black computer screen and thought my computer was still running but it was actually just the fans I heard.
Tried to let it sit and cool off but when I try to turn it on the only thing that happens is the fans powering up and running. No beep....nothing.
I am a noob when it comes to the inside workings of my computer!
I am told it could be my PSU or Motherboard.
I did notice I have multiple capacitors that are bulged at the tops. So I am assuming its my motherboard.
My computer was built for me about 5 years ago and I don't even know where to start as far as trying to figure out what motherboard I have and what to replace it with.
So #1 Where do I look to see what motherboard I have so that I can replace it?
#2 What should I replace first? PSU or Motherboard?
Any please oh please can someone explain it as Computers for Dummies! Lmfao
xoxo
Read more 
Answer
+5
moins plus
Hello,

If you have a multiple capacitors that are bulged at the tops then the problem

is with the motherboard. All you can do is, go to your nearest motherboard

service center and get it repaired by replacing the capacitors and checking

whether any other components are damaged or not.

Or

You have to buy an another motherboard.

Good Luck.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
don't have it repaired just replace the motherboard. very cheap and very easy!
Just MAKE SURE THE NEW BOARD HAS THE SAME 1)CPU socket and 2)same type of RAM and 3) same connections as the original. Extra ports or plug-ins on the new board are ok but not having the ones you need will be worthless.

Google the numbers on the board and you'll find out what board you need!
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the same problem. It's the motherboard. Trust me
Add comment
This document entitled « Fans run, no beep, computer won't boot up.... » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.