PC can't boot pass the Dell Splash Screen? [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Wong - Last answered on May 18, 2017 at 04:25 PM by BrightSpark
Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100. I've had it for a little over a year now. I'm a big gamer and recently, after a long day's worth of gaming, I decided to restart my computer. Once the computer shut off and then turned back on, it couldn't get pass the Dell Splash screen. I can't use F2 or F12 and it completely freezes on me. The loading bar goes only half way.

I took it to Geek Squad but they couldn't do anything for me since the PC couldn't boot up and they only recommended me paying them money to ship it to Dell in order for them to fix it. I've learned from the past that most problems like this are caused by the hard drive failing.. can this be the problem?

As of now, I'm ordering all my recovery disk for the model of my computer and going to replace the hard drive with a new one and hopefully this will fix the problem..

What are your thoughts on the problem.. and what should I do?

Thanks! any help is appreciated!
See more 
Helpful
+176
plus moins
This just happened to me, and it was actually really easy to fix--I just unplugged it, took out the battery, and held down the power button to discharge built up static. I don't know if this is always the fix, but you might want to try it as a first step.
USC- Nov 3, 2014 at 03:12 PM
This worked on my Dell desktop after over an hour of trouble shooting. I tried testing each piece of hardware one at the time by unplugging them from the board. I thought my video card had gone out. Low and behold, static on the power source. Absurd how fickle computers are.
Jared- Nov 16, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Worked like a charm. Such an amazing solution. Thank you!
Jose- Dec 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Oh my gosh! It worked! I have an old Dell Vostro 200. It had the same problem. I unplugged it from the back of the PC tower AND the outlet. I plugged back into the outlet and I saw it discharge static! After that it turned right back on like normal.
Julia- Dec 5, 2014 at 04:27 AM
Worked for me too - thank you sooo much...
BrightSpark- May 18, 2017 at 04:25 PM
Simples! You're a star, Michelle.
Helpful
+34
plus moins
This is mainly hardware related. Try:
1. remove your ram modules and put them back on 1 at the time.
2. remove your cd cable fro the motherboard
3. check that your fans are working properly.
If none of these work its likely to be:
1. Motherboard failure
2. CPU failure

Hope it helps

PONY
Helpful
+34
plus moins
Found that a usb mouse receiver was jamming things up. Now to clean up the fallout...
Helpful
+15
plus moins
Unplugging my hard drive, booting up without it, and then turning off and plugging it back in worked for me :)
Helpful
+11
plus moins
Thank you so much michelle...you saved me :) God bless you

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?