“the disk is write protected”

Solved/Closed
bas55 Posts 8 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2009 - Dec 29, 2008 at 04:11 AM
 khaya - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM
Hi,

I have a Dell laptop with Windows Vista. I have recently bought an external HDD. The problem is that when I try to save anything on it, it says: "the disk is write protected"
So I right-clicked on the drive and went to "properties" > "security" > "advanced" > "owner" and whenever I try to change the owner to my username it does not allow me!
The current owner is; Administrators but when I try to change it to my username I get this message:
"Unable to set owner on local disk"

Won't I be able to use the drive?

Please help!
Related:

2 responses

If done meticulously, this works :

The Disk is write-protected” problem Run Registry Editor (regedit). Navigate to the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control Right click on control and create new key. Name it as StorageDevicePolicies . (Copy and paste it from here if possible) Now click on StorageDevicePolicies and in right side pan right click and select create new dword and name it as WriteProtect. Double click on it and set its value to 0. Now restart your machine and try copying some files to your card
your great man, thank you so much you did help me, godbless
xcellent man
Thank you
Thanks man, you are my hero!!!
I somehow went on control panel, then i went on computer management, then storage then diskk defragmentor, finally i analyzed, and defreagemnted, wait 4 mins to defagment then stop and it should work :)